Search

CDG to Sydney with Delhi stopover on return

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDG to Sydney with Delhi stopover on return

Hi
Does anybody know of a decent airline flying Paris CDG to Sydney Australia that gives you a stopover in Delhi on the way back? I know Air India doesn't fly to Australia. Qantas doesn't use Delhi as a hub.
Any ideas how to get this as a very cheap last minute fare?
I want to leave in 2 weeks.
Thanks Plum
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM

You'll need to use more than one airline to get a decent routing. Use a travel agent (online or off) to piece them together for you.

May also look at round-the-world fare, though that means you need to fly west through the US or Canada for CDG-SYD.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM

On a RTW ticket wouldn't it be better to fly east? With the jetstream at your back.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Yes, it the OP doesnt mind going to Delhi first...
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 07:05 PM

doh!

Looks like it is going to be expensive. I took a look at a multi-destination trip at travelocity but looked like it was $5000+

Thought maybe stopping at SIN or BKK on the return and then getting a roundtrip to DEL from there might work but it is just as expensive.

Maybe two roundtrips: CDG <> DEL and DEL <> SYD (or wherever)
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

I needed to stopover on the return only. Its too complicated, expensive & I've left it too late as most availabilty for leaving so soon has gone. Will do a separate India trip in January.
Thanks for your help!
Plum
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

But just in case anybody else wants to do this, Singapore Airlines could have done it, but doesn't have the availability.
They also fly into Brisbane, Adelaide & other OZ cities, & let you fly out of a different city for about the same fare.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:38 AM

Unfortuanely I don't believe there is an airline that can do you CDG to Australia and then up to Delhi and back to CDG as 'one airline'.

To keep the cost down my 'tip' would be perhaps using Emirates CDG-Dubai-Australia ( they have a very large number of flights from Dubai to Australia ) and their fares are usually good !

So what you could do is CDG-Australia return on Emirates and include a stopover in Dubai on the way back and then add a simple Dubai(DXB) to Delhi return, Dubai to Delhi is a busy route and fairly competative.
I would speak with a TA in Paris for return fares on Emirates and see what they can do for a Dubai-Delhi return add on, return you would be able to check in Delhi back to CDG ( via Dubai ) and that might be an easy and cost effective solution
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Try this, though make sure you call some local Paris travel agents also for possibly better deals. They fly also from Nice.

http://www.emirates.com/fr/SplFares/francefares.asp
They are showing from about Euro 1,160 return from CDG to Australia ( Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane )
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Dubai to Delhi is about 3 hrs 15 mins flight
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You may save a couple hundred dollars (at most) by doing the separate Dubai-Delhi round trip (but not on Emirates, on Air India) however your itinerary works well with a round-the-world ticket from Star Alliance or Oneworld. If you buy the ticket in Europe (actually the price varies according to which country you begin/end the trip) for around €2000 plus tax you could buy a RTW ticket that would get you, for instance, (CDG)-LHR-LAX-SYD-HKG-DEL-LHR-(CDG) with Oneworld (British, American, Qantas, Cathay Pacific), or CDG-LAX-SYD-SIN-DEL-FRA-CDG with Star (United, Singapore, Lufthansa, many others) - or many permutations on this routing.

There's also a program called the Great Escapade that allows use of Singapore, Air New Zealand, and Virgin Atlantic, that would allow (CDG)-LHR-LAX-AKL-SYD-SIN-DEL-LHR-(CDG) using Virgin between Delhi and London, and Virgin or Air NZ between London and LAX. The Escapade is the cheapest of the three, but you would need to begin and end in London, plus it doesn't offer the routing flexibility of the others, especially Star Alliance, which is very strong in Asia.

If it were me I'd ring up Singapore Airlines and ask them about the Escapade or a Star Alliance RTW ticket. I bet you'd find the price competitive with straight round trips (with the DEL stop factored in.)
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Had called both Emirates & Singapore for the routing, but I had left it too late as availability was gone on the Delhi leg, & I wanted to leave so soon. Have now pushed the trip even earlier travelling direct on Singapore Airlines, & am now going to Delhi on a separate trip in Jan. Thanks for your advice. Plum