British Airways flight cancellation-route taken over by Easy Jet

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let other travellers know- we had booked a flight from London to Faro, Portugal on British Airways for July this year. The flight was to be operated by GB Airways on behalf of BA. I was very surprised to receive an e-mail two days ago from Easy Jet saying that they were pleased to confirm their recent purchase of GB Airways. Easy Jet gave me the option of keeping my existing booking which would now be operated by Easy Jet or of contactin BA for a refund. I immediately checked the BA website and sure enough our flight showed as "cancelled". We could either get a refund or re-book on a different flight. I called BA directly-their remaining flights were not suitable. I asked why they had not notified me that our flight had be cancelled. Apparently BA "intended" to notify us (who knows when!) I have rebooked with Easy Jet at no extra cost except the luggage allowance is not as generous. Other travellers on BA may find themselves in the same position-just do not expect to hear from BA first!
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:16 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
BA has been spinning off its subsidiaries and franchisees for quite some time. They sold or swapped their British Mediterranean (BMed) slots and services (Middle East, Central Asia, some others) to BMI, their domestic BAConnect services to Flybe, and now GB Air to Easyjet. They're also decimating (and probably will ultimately discontinue) regional service to Europe from Gatwick, and increasingly using contract aircraft (without BA amenities or comfort) on many LGW flights. The writing is on the wall that it's going to be Heathrow Airlines Ltd. any day now (possibly with some business-class-only operations from LCY or Paris to New York.)

The customer service - or lack of it - that you experienced is, sadly, becoming more frequent with BA. IMO they're taking a great brand, with a great reputation, and diminishing it. Rapidly.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM

One should actually check the price on easyjet first before allowing to be rebooked. It could be better to just get a full refund and then rebook the flight on easyjet directly.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:50 PM

"The writing is on the wall that it's going to be Heathrow Airlines Ltd. any day now (possibly with some business-class-only operations from LCY or Paris to New York.)

The customer service - or lack of it - that you experienced is, sadly, becoming more frequent with BA. IMO they're taking a great brand, with a great reputation, and diminishing it. Rapidly."

The LCY flights will be biz-only. The Paris/Continental EU flights will be 3-class planes, including Y.

I disagree with the dimunition of the BA brand. Indeed, by getting out of the low-yield, short-haul Europe business, they don't have to make the compromises that really damage your long-haul brand. Look at what passes for biz on an intra-EU KLM flight, for example.

BA is still better than most of the Euro competition in coach. Their premium economy is competitive. Their biz class is probably only equaled or bettered by Virgin. I would say that only in F, do they really lag.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:23 AM

The purchase of GB Airways by Easyjet has been well known for a while. Easyjet is now operating to Cyprus for the first time.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM

BA didn't sell GB Airways (or Bmed). Both were private companies in their own right which were franchise partners with BA, but never ever remotely owned by BA. Other than make a rival bid, BA could not prevent the Easyjet takeover of GB Airwyas.

Faro is one of the GB Airways routes that BA will begin operating itself. Due to various legal technicalities, BA is forbidden from 'poaching' these customers by offering its own service as an alterative. You would have to refund your existing ticket and then make a new booking on the BA operated flights.

BA is currently wading through the thousands of GB Airways bookings to notify passengers. The takeover was only made official a few days ago, and it's difficult to make phone contact with all affected passengers in such a short timeframe.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

I was finally notified by British Airways last night, by e-mail that my flight had been cancelled. They may have lots of bookings to wade through, but Easy Jet would be in the same position and it contacted me immediately. The details of any relationship between GB, BA and Easy Jet were not well publicized in North America. If I had known, I may have made other arrangements from the outset.

BA still serves the Faro route but they could only offer one flight a day. Prices vary depending on the time of the flight and day of the week. I chose not to get a refund and to transfer my booking to Easy Jet. Any difference between the two fares was insignificant.