British Air seat assignments?

Jun 9th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Susan

British Air seat assignments?

I called BA to obtain seat assignments more than three weeks before our flight and was told that after assigning 15% of the seats, the rest of the seats would be assigned at check-in. Is this surprising to anyone? I made a little bit of a stink, pointing out that I was travelling with two small children, and they are going to make an exception in our case but ... I've flown domestically on a variety of airlines and ALWAYS been able to obtain seat assignments without a fuss. Commments, anyone?

Jun 10th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Cass

No one ever pre-assigns seats in coach in intra-European flights, largely for security reasons. I had a "special need" for one flight and sent a letter to a customer service person at British Air (sorry, can't remember name or address, but check on-line or make a call) explaining the need for a forward window seat on our connecting flight from Gatwick to Madrid. When we checked in, there I was assigned to the right sort of seat, but my husband was assigned to another row way in the back of the plane. They refused to move him, even though the seat next to mine was empty!

In future, you could write such a letter, or make some sort of specific request ahead of time, and then see what happens. But be specific about exactly what you need and why, and expect the unexpected.

Jun 11th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Juliet

I believe they changed their policy a few years ago after asking passengers what they wanted. I think they fell its fairer to have more seats available at check in.
I'm with them on this one!

Jun 12th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Lisa Katz

We recently booked our vacation to London and Stockholm with BA. The first agent I spoke with said that seat assignments were only available at check-in. When I called the airline a week or so later about an unrelated issue, the agent who was helping me expressed surprise that we hadn't picked out our seats. When I told her what the first agent had said, she disagreed and said that we certainly could have reserved our seats when we first booked, and then she proceeded to help me do just that. We'll see what happens when we get to the airport...

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:26 AM
xxx

My mother has had difficulty obtaining a pre-arragnged seat assignment from BA. She provided them documentation of the medical conditions causing her to make such a request. They were confusing and unhelpful.