Best airline from LAX to Copenhagen??

Nov 28th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Best airline from LAX to Copenhagen??

Looking to buy tickets for flight from LAX to Copenhagen and then Stockholm back to LAX-- 8/25 and return on 9/23. Which airlines have the best prices and best reviews??
Not seeing many airlines that fly this route--seeing Finnair, Lufthansa, Swiss, British air, American and Delta--And when is the best time to get these tickets since the trip is
still 9 months out. Will prices only go higher and I should get them now or is it better to wait.....any thoughts??
Nov 29th, 2018, 06:16 AM

Nobody flies nonstop from LAX to CPH, so it comes down to where you want to change planes. In coach there's not much difference between the major airlines. Looking at the options on ITA (with which you should become familiar) - Matrix - ITA Software by Google - my choice would be to take a short flight to San Francisco on United, then switch to SAS's nonstop from SFO to CPH. That way you wouldn't have to make an intermediate stop in Europe after flying all night from the US. But that's me.

As far as prices going down, right now they're pretty cheap (in the $600 range) so I'd probably not worry about it. Airfares can be unpredictable; things like spikes in fuel costs can lead to increases, but the north Atlantic is a very competitive marketplace, so I'd guess (and it's only a guess) that if they go up it won't be by a lot. By booking this early you run the risk of changes of flight times, but on a simple route like LAX-XXX-CPH any changes probably won't be overly disruptive.
Nov 29th, 2018, 06:33 AM

You can fly on Norwegian Airlines direct from LAX to CPH but not on the 25 Aug, but on the 23rd August. On the return, there are direct flights from ARN to LAX, again they don't operate a flight on the 23rd September but there are very cheap fares on the 24th September.

Norwegian Airlines have low fare or low fare plus, the latter including baggage allowance, meals and a seat reservation. I would be inclined to book right away on Norwegian as the prices will only go up. Whether it is the "best" airline I can't say, some reviews say that there are reliability issues but you can say that with all airlines, especially booking this far in advance is always subject to schedule changes or cancellations.
Nov 29th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo-- thanks for the info on Matrix--only knew about Vayama, google flights, skyscanner, etc--that is a great site!! One stop with layover is fine as I can go into lounges...I really dislike the process now where you have to add on costs for seats and luggage..like to know the bottom line up front to help me compare...
Nov 30th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Have heard good things about Norwegian but it won't allow me to book an open jaw flight LAX to Copenhagen and Stockholm back to LAX-- and 2 one ways is very expensive ---
Nov 30th, 2018, 04:27 PM

There's also a lot of talk that Norwegian is in financial trouble. It's hard to know what will happen, but I'd be cautious.
Dec 1st, 2018, 01:09 AM

You have to book two one ways on Norwegian. You canít book open jaw in the same way as on other airlines websites. Look for low fare + fares which include seat, meal & checked luggage.
Alot of airlines have operating losses unfortunately, SAS hasnít exactly escaped issues.

Last edited by Odin; Dec 1st, 2018 at 01:18 AM.
Dec 1st, 2018, 03:36 AM

<< 2 one ways is very expensive --- >> LAXCPH on 23 Aug is USD 569.90
ARNLAX on 24 Sep is USD 293, total $870, both flights including meals, seat reservations, 10kg of carry-on luggage & 20kgs of checked luggage. It's not super cheap, connections will be less expensive than direct. It is slightly cheaper (about $140) on Norwegian if you fly to Stockholm first then return from Copenhagen. Sometimes Norwegian has sales. It's a consideration, whether saving approx $200 or less (if baggage/seat res/meals are not included in UA/AY/SK etc fares) is worth it vs flying direct. I've only flown Norwegian on short haul flights, their planes are new, they have wifi and you plug in your ipad/other device into their system to get the IFE, they were great.
Dec 2nd, 2018, 03:22 AM

Recently flew Norwegian LAX to Stockholm and it was a good experience.
Dec 2nd, 2018, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

I am okay with layovers and don't need to fly non stop-- looking at American Airlines as I can fly with just carry on luggage --$621 for round trip LAX to Copenhagen and then Stockholm to LAX plus cost of seat....how is American on a long haul???
Dec 3rd, 2018, 01:40 AM

<< looking at American Airlines as I can fly with just carry on luggage >> You can fly with just carry on with Norwegian too, plus the cost of a seat reservation. LAX-CPH is USD480 and ARNLAX is USD205 total $685 plus cost of seat which ranges from $12 to $31. It is even cheaper if you travel Aug 30, then it is LAXCPH $255 + ARNLAX $203, total $458. Use the low fare calendar to see low fares.

American are fine, depending on which aircraft type they are operating and where you are connecting. I would take Gardyloo's advice and take a domestic US flight to somewhere eg SFO and then the longhaul flight from there. Are the AA options connecting thru LHR? UA are fine, Norwegian are fine, SAS are fine, BA are fine, I'd just pick something you're comfortable with schedule and price wise.
Dec 3rd, 2018, 01:58 AM

Recently flew Norwegian LAX to Stockholm and it was a good experience.
Dec 3rd, 2018, 03:41 AM

What Odin said.

It is very true that you have to be careful with American especially if you are not flying long haul to Europe. Anything domestic and even those east coast flights to Europe run like commuter service.. eg small uncomfortable old planes on both legs. You may not even have seat back entertainment. Not sure if Gardyloo actually flies cattle class anymore like some of the rest of us. I look at seat pitch and entertainment and don't worry so much about luggage allowances since I can often get by on carryon and a personal item. YMMV.

Also, look at where you want to go through customs and immigration. Would you rather do it in, for example, Philadelphia and nearly miss a connecting flight? Or is it better to do it at your home airport?

I had to connect through San Francisco on my flight home recently on an award seat. American put me on Alaska for the leg home. The flight was overbooked. I would have taken the offer except the next flight wasn't until 4pm. Something to consider if you are doing a connection with American.

Not clear on the concept of taking a flight to SFO which especially in summer is subject to fog...when LAX likely has the flights you need. Unless trying to squeeze the last $50 out of a fare is important. In which case forego the onboard meals etc and bring a sandwich.

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 3rd, 2018 at 03:48 AM.
Dec 3rd, 2018, 06:39 AM

Any ticket on American from LAX will be all or partly on British Airways planes as their joint marketing/codeshare relationship basically covers every transatlantic flight departing from the US. AA doesn't fly to either Copenhagen or Stockholm, so the last/first leg will be on BA planes, and some flight combinations will require a terminal change in London. So I wouldn't be looking at legroom or service information on AA, instead I'd look at BA. For example, BA flies A380s from LAX to LHR, and in economy you'll get a seat that's anywhere from half an inch to an inch wider, and the same legroom (tight) as on AA's 777-300s, but if you want to select a seat in advance, you'll have to pay on BA.

Many airlines have gone to "economy light" or some such for transatlantic flights - no pre-selection for seats, no checked baggage allowance, so getting an all-inclusive fare is getting tougher. So be sure to check all the fine print when you book. Note that any domestic connecting flights (e.g. LAX to SFO or to ORD) will carry the intercontinental baggage allowance, not the domestic one, as long as the two flights are on the same reservation.
Dec 3rd, 2018, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

I have to be in Copenhagen by 8/27 as the cruise leaves that day so was flying out on 8/25 to get there on 8/26--I like the schedule/times of AA/BA out of LAX-- and they have layovers in LHR where I can hang out in a premium lounge-- tried to book through BA and it won't even give me the option of only carry on luggage...it automatically includes checked luggage... since my trip isn't for 9 months I am thinking there is no rush to get tickets--except the tickets I was looking at yesterday went up $10 today!! Does BA and AA have airfare sales every so often like Southwest and Alaska???
Dec 3rd, 2018, 04:31 PM

Hand luggage only fares are available on the AA site, choose basic economy. BA does have sales now and again. They might have a sale after Christmas. Personally I would book soon since you have specific dates you need to be in CPH, it is bank holiday weekend in the UK & CPH is a popular destination for a long weekend from London.
Dec 3rd, 2018, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Odin--thanks..you are a wealth of information...did not know about the bank holiday!!!

Search this Thread