Search

B787

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B787

Saw the beautiful plane at SRQ the other day. As far as I know it wasn't doing a public tour. It was never really explained why it landed in SRQ, but I'm glad it did and I just happened to be there.

After a short stop, it took off to Seattle. From there it will make the final test run around the world. If everything goes according to the plan, the first models will be delivered sometime in September.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM

Yipee!!! Good news! I'll take a Boeing over an Air Bus any day of the week.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 01:20 PM

My take:

1) I'll believe it exists when they deliver it to a customer. Call me jaded, but we were supposed to see this thing in service by now.

2) My ultimate excitement will depend upon the layouts. If carriers go 9-abreast in Y, this will be a lousy plane for those in the back. In J, I'm not sure I'll be overly excited by a 6-abreast configuration if the competition is offering 4-abreast, even if it is on a 767. The bigger windows hold little appeal for long-hauls (look, another cloud, at 4am!), so we are left with better humidity... I'm withholding judgement if tha is the main selling point.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

The seat configuration is decided by the airline, not b y Boeing.

I did see it with my own eyes, landing parked and takeoff. They have 3 other test planes beside this one. The trip around the world should take place as soon as all data is analyzed. btw, this plane came from Lima, Peru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NePd2CCEXOI
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM

"Yipee!!! Good news! I'll take a Boeing over an Air Bus any day of the week."

Why?
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 02:13 PM

<I>The seat configuration is decided by the airline, not b y Boeing.</I>

I'm sorry. Boeing, I love your plane. I'm less excited about the way that you stretched it, upon demands from customers, to seat 9-abreast, but it is a marvel of engineering. Of course, I choose my flights based upon value and cabin comfort, so your engineering prowess means diddley, but thank you anyway.

<I>I did see it with my own eyes, landing parked and takeoff.</I>

I'm not doubting the fact that it flies. But delays and recent events (a fire on a test plane) make me wonder when I will actually be able to fly in one. Even once it takes flight, the question is whether it meets the performance promises made. If it can connect previously unconnected cities, then cool. If it becomes a modern-day A340, that never meets performance needs, then it will be a failure. Test flights don't answer the important questions for the consumer.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM

alan... I have never been excited by Air Bus planes. I have had (usually minor) cabin pressure issues with them. Only once did I feel as tho my eardrums would break. I prefer Boeing. I try to avoid ABs as best I can, but sometimes that cannot be helped. IF there is a choice, I'll take the Boeing routing to get to my destination.

A conversation with someone who knows an airplane mechanic and who commented on both Boeing and AirBus issues just confirms my preference.

That's all. I am, after all, entitled to my opinion.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM

My sister builds them they have done a lot of great stuff.
One of the coolest things they have done for passenger comfort
is they will pressurize the cabin to 6000 ft 25% more oxygen will be delivered to the passenger making for lots more energy comfort and better sleep.I was one of the first passengers on BA 747 Atlanta Detriot 1969.Hope to be one of the first on the 787 Dreamliner if they can get the engines and smoke issues corrected.Hope the high composite ratios will not cause too
much wing flex or other structural issues but only time will tell.For me they are much better built than Airbuses to plastic and creaky for me on the inside and then there are
those engine issues.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 06:42 PM

I'm with TG, I don't care if it's an Airbus or Boeing, I'm more intereted in the cabin layout and the onboard amenities.

Boeing isn't out of the woods yet with its testing and production, yesterday an emergency was called by the test pilots just after take-off and an emergency landing was required.

Other major fixes required on the already produced planes will delay their entry into service and it'll be interesting to see how fast Boeing can actually produce the planes. As Airbus found out with the A380, their problems started with production, not the test phase.

Based on the delays, compensation and the buy one, get one free marketing by Boeing, it has been estimated by analysts that it'll be many years before they start making a profit, I read somehere that the first 1000 planes will be built at a loss.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 05:05 AM

I'm still very concerned and nervous about building a fuselage and wings out of plastics and glue.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:00 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>I'm still very concerned and nervous about building a fuselage and wings out of plastics and glue.</i>

Well, I used to buck rivets and wrestle with sheet metal on the fuselage/wing join parts of the line at Douglas (then McDonnell Douglas, then Boeing) in California, and I can attest that I'd have just as much confidence in the technologies used today - more, actually - than some of the crates that we painted up and sent out to crab around the skies of West Africa. Or Western Pennsylvania for that matter. Trust me - you wouldn't have wanted to see <i>that</i> sausage getting made either.

Re the 787, I've seen them flying all over the place here in Seattle, but I'd actually never been on the ground at Boeing Field (or Paine Field, where they're built) underneath one taking off until a few days ago. A UPS 767 took off shortly before the 787 (which is expected to be the 767's replacement in numerous fleets) and let me tell you, the 787 was <i>so</i> much quieter than the 767 it was almost laughable. Say what you will about its development/delivery issues, it will be a better plane to have as a neighbor when it's flying into most metro airports.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

First 787 delivered to ANA on Saturday August 6. Decked out in ANA blue colors the Boeing company handed over the "keys" to ANA executives.