B.A Luggage Allowance

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B.A Luggage Allowance

Can't seem to find an answer...What is the baggage allowance per person from US to Heathrow. We are going for two weeks plus and I just can't imagine trying to cut down. Oh yes.. what is now allowed to be carried on in weight and is it true your luggage is checked a second time in the UK?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 06:56 PM

Checked bags: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...k/public/en_us

70lb x 2 if you're flying coach.

Carry on:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_us
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:42 AM

Please be aware that BA does strictly enforce the checked luggage rules (source of revenue). No one piece can be heavier than 70lbs.

Cabin luggage is often weighed. You should pack as if yours will be weighed, i.e. meet the weight restrictions I have seen them make the passenger check overweight hand-luggage in.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Boy am I in trouble..lol Parrot Pop says that I can't do it....THIS IS GOING TO BE MY GREATEST TRAVEL CHALLENGE!!!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:13 AM

They may say something in London if you are connecting on another flight about the large carry on. They told me I needed to check the carry on. I told them that because the flight was late I could miss my connection in Paris. They allowed me to board the plane with two carry-ons.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:50 AM

I think I may have posted this before but BA (Seattle) objected to my carryon because it was over 13 pounds. I was careful to check the dimensions but never checked the weight. My checkin luggage was already checked through from another airport so didn't know quite what I was going to do. Fortunately, the very nice agent upgraded me so I was allowed more weight. So, be careful.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM

There are tricks to keep your luggage weight down. Off the top of my head -- most hotels offer little soaps, shampoos, conditioners, shower caps & hair blowers, so you don't need to bring them with you.

Pare down your toiletries & make up. For example, at home my morning routine includes four skin care products -- on the road I bring 2 and only 2 lipsticks, sometimes 1.

Plus (and I'm a clothes horse who wants to take everything with her) you really don't need that many things. Bring a few mix & match outfits. With today's fabrics, you can find nice microfiber clothes that are wash & wear, don't take up too much space amd are light weight. A nice outfit for night. Bring accessories. Flip flops, a good pair of walking shoes, and something for night. In warm weather I bring a pair of sandals as a fourth pair. One all around coat/jacket/shawl, depending on the climate & time of year.

You may be able to get dry cleaning & laundry done at your hotels. You should be able to find out if they do on their web site.

Don't bring your laptop -- Internet cafes are everywhere.

By now you should get the idea. Good luck and have fun!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
KT

How much of a challenge can it be to come in at under 153 pounds for a two-week-plus trip? ((2 X 70)+ 13)? What exactly were you planning on packing and how did you propose to carry it around once you got there?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:40 PM
KT

Sorry, posted too soon and ended up sounding ruder than I intended! Anyway, what I meant to say is that if you may be overestimating the weight of what you intend to bring.
Because 153 pounds is a huge amount of baggage. And don't ignore the reality of having to move it around yourselves.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:59 PM

I completely agree with you, KT.

As a sole traveller spending 3 weeks in Colombia and Peru, I had one bag weighing 28lb and one piece of carry-on. Same for 2 weeks in Uzbekistan.

When people complain that they cannot fit all their baggage into 2 pieces of 70lb EACH I am astonished!!!

Be aware that no airline who operates into Heathrow can take a single piece of baggage weighing more than 70lb- this includes BA, AA, UA, everybody. Baggage handler are now protected by Health & Safety regulations so that they don't strain their bags lifting unnecessarily hefty bags of over-burdened Americans or Nigerians who have brought 3/4 of their worldly possessions into LHR.

If you, as a lady, can cope with 2 pieces of 70lb and your hand baggage, I would seriously consider training for Miss Universe.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Your all too funny!! Normally when we cruise it's to warm climates where informal clothes work. This time it's going to be European cities wearing shorts would be inappropriate and yes I've been to Colombia and Peru for a week each. The luggage is all on wheels including the carry on...Oh yes..it's a very special occasion cruise and I'm going to carry on special outfit. Wil let you know how we make out when we get back in November.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 05:47 PM

I am with KT And Cosmic Toadstool. I do not get why anyone would need 140lbs of luggage for a holiday. If you were emigrating I could understand, but two weeks away somewhere? Are you going to change outfits four times a day, and for whose benefit would the changes be?

Pack light and save throwing your back out at the airport and ending up having to lie flat for two weeks. (Though in sayng that if it were by a pool with a cocktail maybe not so bad).

With carry on I am with the airlines on limiting size. In the "bad old days" I had seen people trying to stuff full size backpacks in the overhead. If they did succeed it was too bad for the other passengers in that row because there was no room.

Also as a passenger who has had someones luggage land on them when it was being removed from the overhead. I do appreciate the weight limit. The bag that hit me must have been around 15 lbs. That hurt enough. If it had been 40lbs a serious injury may have eventuated.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Lost in all this may have been above comment - carry-on allowance is 13 pounds - they do enforce it - so be careful about that6 as well.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Do they weigh passengers as well?

The heavier you are, the less carry-on allowed?