Aviation deal clears way for emissions scheme: EU

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a reply in another topic regarding fees, but I'm putting this out here for everyone. I just read this on Reuters:

A global deal on emissions curbs by airlines struck late on Friday will allow the European Union to press ahead with plans to charge airlines for emissions permits from 2012, the European Commission said on Saturday.

The EU agreed in 2008 that airlines should be included in its emissions trading scheme (ETS), which forces industry to pay for permits for each tonne of carbon dioxide they emit into the atmosphere.

The ETS is the EU's main tool for combating climate change and it wants to see the system adopted worldwide. Aviation is responsible for some 2 percent of the world's carbon emissions.

Some U.S. airlines had challenged the EU's right to include their flights into and out of Europe within the ETS.

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), a United Nations agency, adopted a resolution on Friday to reduce aviation emissions with a "roadmap" up to 2050 for the 190 member states.

The aviation sector would seek to become 2 percent more fuel-efficient every year and to cap emissions from 2020.

European Commissioners for Transport Siim Kallas and for Climate Action Connie Hedegaard said in a statement they welcomed the breakthrough after almost a decade of deadlock with a deal to cover over 90 percent of worldwide air traffic.

"Crucially, ICAO has refrained from language which would make the application of the EU's ETS to their airlines dependent on the mutual agreement of other states," the Commission said, adding this had led to stalemate at the last ICAO assembly in 2007.

"This time, the EU agreed to engage constructively in dialogue with third countries during the implementation of its ETS, notably regarding how to deal with emissions from incoming flights from third countries," she continued.

Link: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6981CU20101009

What other ways can airlines nickel and dime us to death? If it's not baggage fees, then it's departure/landing fees, and now it's this. Pretty soon it'll be so restrictive that only but the wealthiest will be able to afford airline travel.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Government decides to tax you and you complain about the airlines nickel and dime you? What's the logic?

But yes, EU politicians and environmentalists only want the richest to travel.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM

EU citizens believe polluters should pay.

Nothing an ordinary human being can do in an hour causes as many greenhouse gases to be emitted as sitting as a passenger in an aeroplane. Except sitting as a first class passenger.

If neanderthal jetavheads find that hard to stomach - tough. It's our planet and we're not going to see it destroyed so morons can rack up frequent flyer miles.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan - well, here's the logic: the European Union to press ahead with plans to charge airlines. I'm sure you'll agree that if the airlines are charged, then they're going to more than likely pass that on to the consumer, hence adding more charges to a flight. Also, my last sentence was more tongue in cheek than running around the room and waving my hands acting as if it were the end of the world.

flanneruk - then add whatever additional fee on to those who live in Europe if that's the case.

p.s. - global warming is a myth. hey, let's kill all the cows since they contribute so much to the myth.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Flanneruk has apparently never eaten a burrito.

I can't see why flying first class causes more emissions than flying tourist, but then I'm not a slave to the class warfare that infects some people.