Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Family emergency: Keep airline ticket open or get refund?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, a family emergency has arrised and I can't confirm when I can fly out. The next most probable date is 2-3 weeks from this Sunday.

My tickets were bought through Orbitz for Turkish Airlines. I can get a refund but lose $500 or change the date for a $264 change fee not including fare difference.

Just to get an estimate of prices for a date changed forward, 3 weeks from this sunday, costs $632 per ticket, which was ridiculous do to them not having the "same class" but when I search the google flight matrix there is a much cheaper flight option.

So my questions are:

-Keep the tickets open? This would result in fare difference and a change fee. So far most expensive route.

-Get a refund, lose about $500. I would then need to rebook another flight but I won't be sure when I can book a flight and also I would be booking within 3 weeks so everything will be expensive already as compared to buying my original tickets back in June.

Thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 08:50 PM

Did they actually tell you that you it would be a refund? Not a credit for future travel?
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 09:01 PM

You say the next possible date to fly would be two to three weeks from now, but does it have to be then? Could you not put off the trip until, say, later this year or next year? That way, you wouldn't be rebooking so close to departure and wouldn't be socked with such a high fare. That way, you could keep the ticket open, tend to the emergency, and deal with the travel details later.

Yes, mrwunrful's question: Are you sure it's not a credit toward future travel?
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

It's an actual refund back to the credit card, minus $500.

Also It's a European delivery and I have to get the car within 30 days I think, but won't know until Tuesday
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
With a doctor's letter, Turkish Air refunded 100% of our ticket costs back to our credit card, bought directly from Turkish Air, not through another party.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM
TC

alfa72: <i>"Also it's a European delivery and I have to get the car within 30 days I think"</i>

Huh??