Are Airline Tips Books Any Good

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen ads for ebooks such as www.airtravelgenius.com and www.myairfaresecrets.com that are supposed to give you tips to save on air travel.

I was wondering if anyone had read any of them and if they are worthwhile or just common sense stuff or scams.

Thanks for the input.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM
J62

In the age of the internet I can't see how they provide any more value than info that is free.

I like to use www.kayak.com to search for fares, although since AA is no longer avail there it's less helpful to me. Airlines like Southwest have fare tracker service that notifies you when a good fare is avail for your chosen route. Best of all, talk forums like this one tap into the personal experience of many, many travelers.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM

I agree, dont waste ur money, use this board for a wider choice of views and opinions
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:06 PM

One of the website newsletters that I subscribe to (possibly Airfare Watchdog) purchased one of those books, and reviewed it. It was pretty well worthless.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I checked out Kayak for a trip we want to do this fall. I loved the calendar at the right it made it easy to see if I could save by changing the date a day or two. I also loved that it brought up comparison sites. I usually end up checking 3 or 4 and it takes a lot of time.

I also went to www.sunshinetravelinc.net which is where I usually end up booking (unless Southwest has the best deal). I also get a commission from that site. They do charge a booking fee, but even with the booking fee they were actually $5 less than the lowest I found on Kayak.

I don't travel as much as many of the people I see on this forum, but I have travelled enough to realize that no one site ever finds all the best deals...thus the checking several sites where Kayak is going to save me tons of time in the future.

I thought the ebooks sounded too good to be true.