Am I wasting my time on Kayak?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at flights to Sri Lanka/India from Canada and some of the pricing is quite attractive, but when I click through (to the airline or Orbitz, etc) the prices increase by close to 50%......haven't it used it much in the past and would appreciate comments.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 03:25 PM

I've found that Kayak is slow to update their information. The attractive price has probably increased since then, but Kayak is still displaying the old fare. Or it's a probably a promotion that was sold out. Try Momondo.com

By the way, neither of these websites give you a discount on your flight. They simply compare airline prices.

If your plans are flexible, go to the airline website. Check their table and try to pick cheaper dates. Flying on certain dates can turn out way cheaper. (Avoid weekends)
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could try Vayama.com. I sometimes use onetravel.com for flights to Europe, haven't tried them for Asia as I usually use FF miles for that.

You might also try airtreks.com since you're going on to India, but they don't handle simple round-trips.

Have you checked to see if there are any low-cost airlines flying that route? They often don't show up on kayak. Look at the airport website for Colombo to see what airlines fly in.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 02:39 PM

Keep in mind that kayak is a search engine only~it searches the airlines' websites as well as other sites such a Priceline, Expedia, and cheaptickets.com.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 03:39 PM

I've had problems like this only with the smaller foreign airlines. Even if you go to the airline website, the searched result is often no longer available when you hit the "book it" button. So I don't know that Kayak is solely to blame. For the most part in my experience, they are the best at finding good connections and low fares.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
elizabeth, presumably you are flying with air Sri lanka?

when we were booking with them about this time last year, there were substantial differences depending on which day/s we were flying. in the end we save £300 each by flying back on a Monday rather than the Sunday.

So i recommend playing with their website too.

http://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/uk