Search

Airline Partners

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline Partners

I noticed that you can go to the Continental web site and book a flight from Orlando to London Gatwick on Virgin's 747 and get free drinks in coach and 100% of the Continental Frequent Flyer Miles.

Also noticed on the American Airlines flyer magazine two days ago that in order to get miles flying a "partner" airline, one needs to fly American Airlines to another country and then if they use the partner airline, they will get 5,000 miles.

So, if I fly American Airlines to LAX, and then Qantas (their partner) to Sydney, do I only get 5,000 miles, or none?

I'll give my vote to Continental's Frequent Flyer program.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:52 AM

The 5,000 is probably a bonus on top of what you're entitled to get.

The actual miles you will get depend on the airline and your fare code. With AAdvantage, BA earns 0%, many CX fares earn 0%, while Qantas is 50% or 100% in coach.

Details on aa.com.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:18 AM

The 5000 is some kind of a bonus. Without knowing all the details I can't tell you if all the fare codes qualify for the bonus.

Here are ways of earning AA miles with their OW parthers.

Assuming one is flying from Chicago to Sydney with connection in LAX and using AA and Qantas.

Scenario 1 - Flying AA to LAX, you will collect AA miles per AA rules. With the exception of some very deeply tour or package fares, you will get 100%. Connecting to Qantas in LAX. Qantas will give you AA miles depending on their fare rules. Discounted economy fares will get you 50%, economy fares will get you 100% and business, first have a 25% and 50% bonus miles added on top of the 100% respectively.

Scenario 2 - Same as above, but the Qantas flight purchased as an AA codeshare. The ticket has to have AA flight number for both flights. You will earn AA miles per AA rules, in which case you will earn 100% on any economy fare (with very few exceptions, like tour or package fares, etc.)

The 5000 miles bonus would be added on top of the miles earned, but again it may only be given on some fares, not all, so you always have to read the fine print if you want to collect the 5000.

The same would apply to CX, LAN, FinnAir, Iberia, Aer Lingus and BA.

BA is the only exception to the general rules as stated above. You will not earn ANY AA miles on any fare on any BA flight between US and London and the same is true in reverse. No BA miles on any AA flights between London and US.

You always have to remember that it's not AA giving you the miles when you fly Qantas. It's Qantas that pays AA to post the miles in your AA account and it's based on Qantas fare rules. When you buy an AA coded flight operated by one of their partners then and only then AA gives you the miles so it's according to their own fare rules.

All this info can always be found very easily on the airlines web sites, Perhaps in the future you should take the time to look it up, read it and make an educated call on what program is better. Consumer Report did and they picked AAdvantage as the best frequent flyer program for collecting and the ability to spend the miles.

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I've always gotten the full miles in AA for flying Qantas, even when it was a Qantas flight #. Usually fly AA to LAX and Qantas on from there to Melbourne. AAFF is likely right about the background arrangement but it's worked out the same anyway, so no worries for me. I guess the 5000 is a bonus, as said.

On the other hand, you don't get the AA miles trans-atlantic on a British Airlines flight. Some sort of special case there with competing routes. So, when we've flown AA to LHR and picked up a BA flight from there onward to elsewhere in Europe on one ticket, we've gotten full miles (not sure about status, as I don't qualify anyway). We wouldn't have gotten AA miles had we flown the full route on BA #'s.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM

<b>Clifton</b>,

You just managed to confuse the issue again.

1.If you read my post above, you will see that some economy Qantas fares do earn 100% AA mileage, <b>BUT</b> not all! If one is worried about earning full 100% elite and usable AA mileage one needs to pay attention to fare codes if flying under the Qantas flight number which is not the case when flying under AA flight number.

2.I did explain the BA issue and you are wrong 1/2 way. It's only the BA flights between US and London that don't earn AA miles. So if you did fly BA all the way you would still earn miles from London on to ? And with most discounted BA fares you only earn 25% of miles, BA or AA.

It's pretty obvious that you flew on little more expensive fares to get full mileage.

Also, you missed out a chance to qualify for status with AA. Your 1 trip to Australia would have earned you AA Platinum/OW Sapphire status if you did the challenge. If the trip was at the latter part of the year your status would have been good till the end of FEB the year AFTER the following year.

For example: If your Australia trip was in AUG of 2005, your status would have been good till FEB of 2007. As a Plat there are many perks, but one of the biggest is earning 100% bonus on all the flown miles. Also, AA only drops you one level if you don't re-qualify, so for another year(2008) you would have been Gold, which still gives you 25% bonus on all the miles flown.

Sorry you missed it.

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Wow, I am too! I'm certainly not a guru that you and rkkwan are when it comes to making the most of ticket purchases. And I'll admit that I read the question more so than the responses. Just my limited experience thrown in to muck things up a bit.

Too bad the Eva air flights we just bought (evergreen deluxe, STL to LAX and back on AA only, the rest on Eva to BKK and back from PNH) aren't open to the same offer w/o an AA # on them. I can't say I'd <i>mind</i> the getting the status! I'll have to remember what you've said though. My wife is from MEL, so we fly back somewhat often.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Oh, and I did know about the BA bit. I may have not explained it well, but we flew AA to LHR and then BA from LHR to Budapest. We got miles for the full trip.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Here is a brief explanation of the AA status challenge:

<b>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=126&amp;start=0&amp;tid=3448942 5</b>

about 1/2 way down.....
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:00 PM

AAFF, I've read your primer and it would have been handy at that. We'd flown to MEL over christmas 2003 and then I did a couple of short hops business deals in 2004 before the trip to Budapest in October 2004.

However, I didn't know about only slipping one level. Flights have been short and minimal in 2005, although my wife did have to fly short notice back to MEL this year, we hadn't planned it. I'd been thinking that since 2005 was going to be such a bear to get away, that the status wouldn't do us much good. Looking back, it really couldn't have hurt us either, and would have at least stayed at gold.

Thanks for pointing me to the lesson.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Most EVA fares between US and TPE earn 100% CO Onepass miles and 100% EQM. Flights onward earn 100% usable miles and zero EQM.

Make sure you give them your CO Onepass number if you haven't done so.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Good thought rkkwan. Haven't flown CO (or Delta) in ages but you never know, and I do fly NWA at times. Could come in handy.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

I check the magazine again and it did say &quot;Bonus&quot; miles. You can blame me but I'll blame the size 2 print.

When I flew Qantas to NZ &amp; Sydney, Qantas recommended that I put the miles with Continental--not American because I would probably get more miles. (They said at the time that American would only give me 2 for 1) And at one time the Qantas web site did say that you may not get any miles with American for flying Qantas.

Bottom line: Check those codes. LAX to Australia is a lot of miles to have someone say, &quot;wrong code, no miles.&quot;

I booked my ticket to Australia on BA VIA London. Don't know if it is a discounted fare or not. Does anyone know how to tell? I'm hoping to get a free flight to Europe next summer and a few free drinks going to Australia.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 07:41 AM

Again Wally and anybody that's listening....

when you buy a ticket from Qantas, it's NOT AA that gives the miles, it's Qantas that pays AA for the miles to post to the account. So only Qantas decides how many miles you will get from any one fare.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:38 AM

If you book via a live person, ask him/her what &quot;fare class&quot; your ticket will be in.

If you book online, it depends on the site, but you can find out fare basis before purchase. Some airlines like Continental will display something like &quot;Class: Economy (K)&quot;. So, you're in K-class. Other sites may require you to click on a link that says &quot;show fare basis&quot; or &quot;show fare details&quot;. And that link my show something like &quot;QM24E&quot;. The first letter is your fare class, so you're in Q-class.

But there are other complications if you purchase through a consolidator. My parents often buy U-class fares US-Hong Kong on CO via a travel agent who gets their fares from a consolidator. These fares earn all the miles, bonuses and EQM like any &quot;U&quot; fare does, but they're not upgradeable, even with a fee.

I have never flown BA, and don't go to their website that often, so I can't tell you where they'd display the fare code.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Wally,

Unless you bought full fare economy on BA you will only earn 25% of the actual mileage flown.

This is from www.ba.com:

<i>You will be awarded one BA Mile for each mile flown with British Airways and oneworld™ alliance airlines in full-fare economy.

On discounted economy tickets, you will earn 25% of the actual miles flown.

Bonus BA Miles can be earned when you travel in our premium cabins.</i>

Hey, at least you get your free drinks Wally. Enjoy!