Search

Air India

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Gerry K

Air India

I've booked a flight on Air India (London, November) and would like to know what others have experienced with that carrier. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR> <BR>Gerry K

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 01:31 PM
pat

I flew from NYC to London, then on to India. The flights were all late, it was jam packed and tight. Coming back, it was overbooked and people who paid for first class ended up in coach and some people who paid for coach ended up in first class. We missed our connecting flight back into NYC. The time had been changed weeks before, but we were never notified. If you go on Air India, order the food the Indians are eating. Stay away from the American menu. I ended up with "deli belly". It was not a pleasant flight, either direction.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 11:50 PM
ann

I'm a travel agent doing corporate travel for one of the world's largest companies. We do not book our clients on Air India. Jet Airways is the only carrier we will book in India. Air India's safety is not up to par.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Sandy

I flew to India (NY-LHR-DEL) in Nov on Air India. The plane was old and completely full. I don't eat airline food on any plane so that was not a problem. If there is any kind of problem, don't count on the flight attendants to help. <BR> <BR>When we stopped in London, an Indian passenger decided he wanted to sit in a window seat and took the seat that my seat mate was in (she had gotten off to stretch her legs). When she returned, he would not get up. He asked me to change w/his wife (I had an aisle) so she could sit next to him. I refused. My seatmate demanded her seat back . . . he would not leave. The flight attendant did nothing. My seatmate had to go sit in his original seat (in the middle section). . . the flight attendant just shrugged her shoulders. <BR> <BR>I was on a tour . . . but I will pay extra next time to avoid flying Air India. I make about 5 trips a year and this was the worst I've ever been on. <BR> <BR>Be forewarned. <BR>Sandy

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 11:16 PM
Dave

As you can tell by the previous posts, Air India is really lousy. It's usually the cheapest carrier to India and there's a reason for that. <BR> <BR>The only positive thing I can say about the airline is that the Indian food is pretty good. First and Business class is tolerable but Economy is going to be a nightmare. <BR> <BR>You will need a lot of patience because service at all levels is extremely poor. If you do fly with AI you will have lots of cocktail conversation material for the next year. <BR> <BR>I would definitely try to fly on another carrier. Also, if you're flying within India, I would avoid Indian Airlines, it's even worse than AI.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Stephanie P.

Hi Gerry: <BR> <BR>I went a long time ago on Air India from NYC to London (1982). I liked it. The 747 was comfortable and it wasn't too crowded. The flight attendant is dressed up in Indian clothes and will bow to you. All movies are in Hindu language, so bring some books or puzzles to do. They served us two meals, Indian that is.