?? about long layover at JFK

Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

?? about long layover at JFK

We will have a long layover at JFK on our way to Barcelona via Paris. Arrive from San Diego 3:33 PM...Air France leaves 9:50PM. Long long wait. Any suggestions?..food?..cab somewhere?...are we near anything?

Thanks again for the help.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Relative to my question...my AA mail offers a one day pass for 50 dollars to the Admirals Club...(25 for the next person...my spouse)...not sure if this is a good expenditure but I have no idea what we can do all that time.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM

A taxi into the city will cost you $45 plus toll and tip, about the same returning (flat rate in, meter back.) Assuming your bags are checked through, you could probably get into Manhattan, have an early dinner someplace, and make it back by 8 or 8:30. The cab would cost more than the AC.

By any chance do you have elite frequent flyer status with AA? If so, then you can use the AC for no charge (only good for international itineraries.)
Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Gosh..I am not sure if we have elite status..not even sure what that is???...can you explain?
Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM

loisco - Doens't matter in your case, since your international flight isn't even on AA.

But "elite status" is extremely worth getting or knowing what it is, if you fly 25,000 miles or more, or at least 30 flight segments a year.

If all of those miles or segments are credited to the same airline FF program, then you'll become an "elite". You earn bonus miles, priority boarding, dedicated check-in and security lines, and much more.

If you don't fly that much, then you don't need to know.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM

Sorry I missed the Air France bit... never mind...
Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

OK..so we would pick up luggage at AA and then go to the AA lounge for 4 hours or so...??...My next questions (maybe I should post separately)..

1. after we get luggage would we have to go through security to reach the AA loung?

2. How much time needed to get to Air France from AA area?

Thanks..if no answer I will post separately..
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM

Your luggage can be checked through. You don't claim luggage. And you don't exit the secured area at AA's terminal.

It takes just a few minutes on the AirTrain to get from Terminal 8/9 to 1. Ride the train that circulates clockwise among the terminals, not the ones to Howard Beach or Jamaica.

However, you need to get over to Air France kind of early because you still need to check in with AF to get your boarding pass. They don't have kiosk or online check-in in the US, unless something has changed. And you need to reclear security.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

I think we would have to claim our luggage from AA when we get to JFK from San Diego, because the flight to Paris is from Air France, a different airline, and it's so much later or am I wrong?..

Are you saying we can't do this? and then go back to the Admiral's lounge?..

I am not understanding it I guess.

Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:15 PM

AA can check your bags through to Barcelona. No need to pick them up at JFK.

And if you go get your bags, you'll be outside the secured area at Terminal 8/9. I don't think AA has a lounge outside the secured area, only inside. Now, you won't have a valid boarding pass to get back in. You MAY be able to get a security pass, but it'd be a huge hassle.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

How can AA check our bags through to Barcelona if we are using Air France to get there...we change planes at CDG..
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:54 PM

At your check-in at SAN, tell the AA agent that you have connecting flights to BCN via CDG. You'll need to show them your itinerary, and the agent may need to call to confirm. But they can do it.

It's called interline baggage agreement, and all major airlines do it (but most low-cost ones don't). It can definitely be done, and it's been done for years everyday, all around the world.

Make sure you see with your own eyes that your bags are tagged correctly before they take it away. The tag should says JFK, CDG and BCN on it with all the corresponding AA and AF flight numbers.
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your help...I think I get it..
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

My husband doesn't want to do this..he is suggesting we go directly to Air France and check in the luggage...then return to AA to the lounge?..

Can you check your baggage 5 hours earlier????..do they not send it on an earlier plane?..

Hate to bother you again. Hate fighting with husband about this..ha!
Feb 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM

ONCE AGAIN!

no need to pick up luggage. AA will check it through to BCN for you.

If for some reason you do want to do this, here is the exercise.

You will land in terminal 8, possibly 9.

Pick up your luggage.

Drag it to the AirTrain

Take the AirTrain to terminal 1

AF ticket counter will accept your luggage 4 hours before the flight (usually)

Take the AirTrain back to terminal 8

Enjoy the AC that's outside security (can't use the new club in terminal 9 as it is airside)

Leave early, catch the Airtrain again to terminal 1.

Do you really want to do all this?

Feb 24th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

No but HE does!! I do thank you. I may be able to change his mind. Meanwhile, you are great..

Thanks.