? about AA frequent flyer

Sep 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

? about AA frequent flyer

Looking up info on a trip to Europe. Flying with AAdvantage miles I hope.

I am looking at the AAAdvantage chart for flying to Europe. It says 125,000 for first class.
Is that round trip?..

Would that be the same amount of miles used if we stopped in Boston on the way back. (we live in San Diego).

Thank you.
Sep 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM

If you go to the AA website, it gives you options for searching one way, or round trip. Make your selection and then go from there.
Sep 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM
yk

It is 62,500 r/t for First Class if MileSAAver seats are available for your flights.

Otherwise, it is 125,000 r/t for First Class AAnytime seats.

You can mix and match. For example, if your outbound flight has MileSAAver seats available but not your return flight, you'll pay:
31,250 miles for your outbound MilesAAver seat; and
62,500 miles for your return AAnytime seat

Unfortunately, with this new redemption method, you can no longer get a free stop-over. Therefore, if you want to stop in Boston on your way back, you will end up with 3 segments:

San Diego -> Europe
Europe -> Boston
STOPOVER
Boston -> San Diego

So, you will pay extra miles for the additional segment to get home from Boston. That additional segment will either be 12,500 miles for MileSAAver Biz seat; or 25,000 miles for AAnytime Biz seat. There are no first class between BOS and SAN.
Sep 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM

There are no first class between BOS and SAN.

huh?

Whether we agree or not on the fact that domestic F is no better or perhaps worst than international J, I believe that AA and most of the major US based airlines still call it First class.
Sep 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
yk

You're right, AAFF. It's a doh moment for me. What I wanted to say is none of the BOS/SAN nonstops are 3-class aircrafts. But yes, there will be First Class on the BOS/SAN flights.
Sep 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM

yk,

if one REALLY wanted a full first class experience between SAN and BOS, one can still do it but with some sacrifice. SAN-LAX (Access to lounge, American Eagle puddle jumper and no first class), LAX-JFK, true first class on a 3 class aircraft with access to the first class lounge in LAX, and finally JFK-BOS (another Eagle puddle jumper but with access to F lounge in JFK). Not sure if it would be worth the 2 connections as opposed to 1 on any other domestic first class but it's possible.
Sep 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

OK.I need to understand this..for my husband and I ...I would need to get 2 one way tickets to Paris from San Diego. Then I would need to buy two more one way tickets from Paris to Boston. (I guess I could fly home from Boston Jet Blue)..Probably I would want tickets that had a stop somewhere as that is a long flight.(from SD to Paris).

We have over 250000 miles...which they say expire in November. Not sure how to stop this expiration..

I thank you..
Sep 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Try going to the following link

http://www.flyertalk.com

Then go to Miles and Points and find the board labeled American Advantage. At the top is a FAQ sticky. One of the FAQs will be "how do I keep my miles from expiring"
Sep 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
yk

loisco, go to AA.com and then Reservations. Click on Advantage Award, then check the box for Multi city.

You should be able to enter your 2 separate flights:
Flight 1: SAN to CDG
Flight 2: CDG to BOS

If you want to fly AA for all 3 flights, then enter
Flight 3: BOS to SAN

Under 3. What is Your Cabin Service Preference?
Choose the box for First Class

When you click GO, you should be shown the various flights and how many miles is needed. If you are not comfortable doing this online, you should call AA and have them do it for you.