AA swu question.

Feb 19th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

AA swu question.

I have been offered a swu for an upcoming trip. I am booked in Q class for transpacific travel, I am already ticketed and I'd like to know if I need to pay fees to have my ticket reissued to use the swu? If so, what are the fees, the change fee for the ticket or the change fee and the fare difference for Q class? I have used stickers but never swus and I'm a little confused how these work. Also, I'd like to check that I would earn mileage for any flights that I use a swu for.

Thanks.
Feb 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM

There's no fare difference. The owner of the eVIP has to make the arrangements and pay any fees or additional taxes. You might want to reimburse him or her for any out-of-pocket costs.
Feb 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM

Meant to add, you'll only earn mileage and qualifying points based on the fare you paid, not the higher class of service.
Feb 19th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Gardyloo, generally what are the fees or additional taxes on a transpacific AA flight? I would like to pay the owner of the swu back for any of pocket expenses.
Feb 20th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Go to http://matrix.itasoftware.com and put in your itinerary and dates, and select "business class or higher." When the AA fare comes up, click on the "view itinerary and fare details." You'll get a listing of all the surcharges and taxes that will apply. It will vary slightly according to departure and arrival points. "Asia" is not specific enough.
Feb 20th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gardyloo, I am flying to HND, yes I am braving the awful flight times on the new route mainly because of the NYHND promotion where I'd earn triple miles as a plt AAdvantage member. I did check taxes for both economy and business class on ITA and they are the same. Thank you for help Gardyloo.