AA 777 Business Class

May 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
yk
Original Poster

AA 777 Business Class

Planning to fly BOS-LHR next week (day flight). Y is quite full and all exit-row seats are already gone by the time I made my reservation. I can only get an aisle seat in the back in the middle (5 across) section.

Checked ExpertFlyer and surpised to see there's C7 on that flight. So I'm tempted to upgrade.

Is there any way to tell if that flight has NGBC? Don't want to spend the $ and miles if it's still old seats.
May 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM

I was corrected by others that apparently there is still one or two 777s not converted. I was under the impression they were all done. The chances of you hitting the last unconverted plane(s) are very small.

In reverse, when they started converting the 777s, it took me about 15 flights over months to finally hit one that was converted.

Can't guarantee you anything but I would bet my money on you getting NGBC.

Besides the BOS-LHR is a short flight(relatively speaking), so I wouldn't be too concerned about which seats you'll get.

btw, while the old seats were technologically years behind, I really never had a big problem with the seats. The only problem I had was the foot rest, but I used my carry on to support it.
May 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM
yk
Original Poster

I agree BOS-LHR is a very short flight, and taking the day flight isn't bad at all. I can't decide if I want to spend the $ + miles or not on such a "short" flight.

If economy wasn't this crowded, or if I could get an exit row seat, I would be happy enough to sit in the back.

Last time I flew LHR-BOS in the back, there was this HUGE family (parents, grand parents, and at least 7 kids) in Y. It was pure torture for folks who were sitting nearby. Fortunately, I had the whole row (3 across on 767) to myself in the back.

I will think about it over the next few days. I doubt the C7 will all disppear. And if it does, then I'll save $300+25K miles!
May 15th, 2008, 10:00 AM

As of two weeks ago there were 9 unconverted 77s still flying. They're rolling out one or two a week, so agreed the chances of getting the old seats are diminishing rapidly.

We really like the morning BOS-LHR flight as it really whacks jetlag.
May 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
yk
Original Poster

Did I read somewhere that if you fly J/F, one can get a "pass" for LHR immigration short cut? (Can't recall what the actual term is.)

I suppose the immigration line shouldn't be too bad given this is a day flight, but the "pass" would be a nice bonus.
May 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM

The FAs in F/J should pass out Fastrack cards. Sometimes they may be out. In that case have your F or J BP ready to show to the Fastrack queue dragon. It should work.

As you enter the immigration hall take a quick look. Sometimes the "cattleclass" queue is shorter as it has many more agents. The Fastrack queue has only 1 or 2 agents. Many passengers with the pass just proceed to the Fastrack and on occasion, it may take longer.

I try to save my Fastrack cards as much as I can. I give the cards to my family/friends. Many don't have the luxury of flying in the front cabin. My niece and nephew were very grateful when they had the cards. Their flight came in after about 4-5 widebodies came in from Middle East and Africa. The regular queue extended beyond the entrance door to the immigration hall and snakes around about 10 or more times. A busy weekeend in Disney had shorter queues to the popular rides. That's when Fastrack card is invaluable.
May 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
yk
Original Poster

Thanks. If the FAs don't pass them out, can I ask for it (assuming they're not out)?

I need to catch a bus from Heathrow to Windsor, and the last one runs at around 10ish pm. Don't want to miss it in case the plane is delayed + long immigration lines.
May 15th, 2008, 02:13 PM

I've never had a problem at immigration coming off the BOS-LHR AA daytime flight. I don't think the fast track lane is open then, but ask for a pass on the plane or show your boarding pass to the guardian if it is. I'll echo AAFF however in that the last couple of times I've used fast track at LHR it seemed slower than the slow track.
May 15th, 2008, 02:13 PM

If you don't get one it usually means that they don't have any, but always feel free to ask. All F/J passengers should get one, but in case you don't the F/J BP will do the trick so make sure you don't leave it behind or throw it away.

I was told that a status holder sitting in Y can get one, if they have extras on that particular flight and the request is friendly, not demanding. It helps to talk to the purser sometime during a flight, explaining that you need to catch a certain train/bus, etc. The request should be made in a galley, so the other passengers don't hear it.

The passes cost the airlines, so it's not like they can just hand them out to anybody that asks.
May 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
yk
Original Poster

Turns out the last bus leaving for Windsor departs 22:11, from T5!

What's the likelihood of me making that bus assuming the flight arrives on time? I won't have checked luggage.

AA flies into T3, and I have to transfer T3-T5 landside.
May 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM

With no luggage it might be okay. Down to the HEX platform (Heathrow Central) and HEX to T5. Don't know how often they run at night.
May 15th, 2008, 02:59 PM

T1, 2, 3 departure to T5 26 - 41 - 56 - 11 until 23:41
May 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM

If you can catch HEX at 21:26 or :41 then you should make it. The 21:56 may be too late.
May 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
yk
Original Poster

It looks like there are 2 buses that run btw T3/T5. The advantage of the buses is they stop right at the T5 bus station. But they take longer and probably less reliable than HEX.

Any idea how far the HEX T5 station is from the T5 bus station?

<< If you can catch HEX at 21:26 or :41 then you should make it. The 21:56 may be too late. >>

This sounds right. I guess I'll play it by ear.
May 15th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Have no idea. I did not have a chance to visit T5 just yet. The only thing I can tell you from my experiences at the other LHR terminals and LGW is that the busses actually get preference and they get to use the closest lane to the terminal. So AFAIK, the bus stop should be right outside at the arrival level, but again I have not been to T5 so don't take my word for it.
May 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM

The T5 HEX station is amidships in the building. Come off the lift at the arrivals level and you turn one direction to the arrivals area, the other way and through the doors, across a covered walkway and you're at the bus stops - Hoppa, local... etc. You'll need to see which bus platform your bus will use, but the HEX > bus stop distance is a matter of yards. I'd think the HEX would be way faster than the bus around the perimeter road.
May 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
yk
Original Poster

I think I'll probably not try to risk it. There are a lot of IFs here... IF the flight arrives on time. IF I get thru immigration w/i 1 hour. IF the HEX runs smoothly to get me to T3.

It'll be too much for me to worry about for the next week.

I won't bother w/heading to Windsor that night. I'll either book a hotel in London or at LHR.

Thanks!
May 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
yk
Original Poster

I think I'm getting myself confused regarding the upgrade.

I checked EF again today, and my flight still has C7.

That means all prior upgrade requests have been granted and there are still at least 7 upgradable Business seats available, right?

So it's not likely any of the Y exit row seats will open up (due to elites getting their upgrade requests cleared)?

The only ways for the C7 to disappear over the next few days are:

1) New Y pax requesting the upgrade
2) AA takes them away

-------------------------
I'm still trying to decide if I want to upgrade. I'm less willing to do so if exit row seats open up and I can grab one - but seems unlikely based on my thinking above?
May 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Just because one is elite it doesn't mean they want to upgrade. Don't forget, only EXPs and some 2M milers have e-VIPs at their disposal. Then it's a no brainer because it's a free upgrade, but if you do the mileage upgrade then it's 25k miles plus $300 each way. Many are very content on sitting in the exit row seats for this short flight.

Perhaps some are counting on Y oversell and hope for a free op-up.

C7 means that the J cabin is practicaly empty at the moment. Perhaps some were already upgraded but I would not assume that. Perhaps nobody asked for an upgrade just yet.
May 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
yk
Original Poster

Right. I don't think I made my confusion clear (is that an oxymoron)?

Do the e-vip upgrades also come out of the C inventory?

If it says C7 right now, am I correct to assume *right now* nobody is waitlisted for an upgrade?

If any of the elites sitting in exit row had requested an upgrade, he/she would have been upgraded already, right?

Y is not completely full either, so it's unlikely there will be op-up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO