I was hoping to get some advice on a decision I am having some difficulty finding an answer to! My soon-to-be husband and I will be going to Africa for our honeymoon sometime in May or June 2017. We will be spending 3-4 nights in Cape Town and was hoping to spend another 3 nights sometime during our trip in Mozambique/ Barazuto Archipelago. I have been on safari in Kenya and Tanzania a few years ago so I am eager to try somewhere new and am trying to decide between the private reserves near Kruger National Park and between Okavango Delta and/or Chobe National Park.
From my research so far (correct me If I am wrong, please!) I have gathered that Botswana has a more "wild" and untouched Africa feel to it. I have also read that there may be a higher density of animals in the private reserves near Kruger because they are reserves. We will probably spend about 5-6 nights on safari possibly split between two camps. I saw quite a bit on my safari in the Masai Mara but my future husband has never been and I would love to be able to see many animals.
I know Botswana can be more expensive, which isn't ideal but won't keep us from going if its really worth it. Ideally I would like to spend no more than 600-950 pp a night but would be willing to go a bit higher for part of it- if the camp is superb. Also I think we have the time of year in our favor in that the prices will be a bit lower. Which is another question I have- will the game viewing be good in may or june? Before planning the trip we were hoping to go earlier in the year when things at work are slow for us both but based on articles I have read I realized if we were going to spend all this money to go better to go when the viewing is good!
Ideally I would love to go to Botswana I am just wondering if its worth the trouble in making our itinerary a bit hectic to get there. I am worried the Kruger area is going to be too touristy, or not feel as natural. Will we be seeing other safari jeeps everywhere? In Botswana is it worth splitting the 5-6 nights between the delta and chobe? Any experiences/advice would be very welcomed!
Lastly, we are going to Mozambique for some change of scenery and to swim with whale sharks hopefully. Is it going to be nice beach weather, is the Barazuto Archipelago worth seeing(if all we are looking for is nice beaches and some down time) and are we likely to see a whale shark.
I know I am squeezing in quite a bit for 14 days but my partner and I are very active and typically like to stay in one place only for a few days before we get antsy to see something new!
Thanks in advance- this forum has helped me immensely in the past.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 YAHOO Mail @Password Reset Contact 1:888:482:3831 YAHOO Tec*h supp0rt care
- 2 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
- 3 Ethiopian Tour operators
- 4 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
- 5 Tanzanian Tour Operators
- 6 Lebanon Spring 2018
- 7 electric devices
- 8 Flying from Florida to Dubai
- 9 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 10 Victoria Falls
- 11 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
- 12 sahara desert
- 13 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
- 14 STONE TOWN hotel recommendation for 1/14/18
- 15 Feedback on 2-Week South Africa Itinerary?
- 16 Private driver in Morocco
- 17 Private tours in Morocco
- 18 Morocco Expert Tours
- 19 East Africa (Tanzania) or South (Botswana) Middle June 2018
- 20 Mid range hotel/lodge in Arusha
- 21 Kilimanjaro
- 22 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 23 Zanzibar Anyone?
- 24 help me to visit Morocco
- 25 Cape Town & wine country in July? Help...