Zimbabwe Sept 05

Mar 16th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Zimbabwe Sept 05

Hello All,
I will be going on my first trip to Africa this September. It will be a short trip, but this is my Internary:

Johannesburg - 1 night
Makalolo Plains - 4 nights
Victoria Falls Hotel - 1 night
Matetsi Water Lodge - 3 nights

I have looked up previous posts on "what to pack", and I am hoping someone here can be more specific as to what I would need for the weather in Zimbabwe in Sept. From what I looked up, the weather seems to be quite warm (mid to upper 80's) at this time. Most of the posts say bring warm clothes, and I can't imagine needing them at this temp, but maybe I am wrong. Will I want to be wearing pants or shorts most of the time? Are those zip off pants a good thing to bring? Also, our local Cabela's outlet has those safari vests with tons of pockets on super clearance for only $8.00! Would one of these be good for Safari?
I would appreciate any suggestions for my first trip to Africa. Also, if any of you have a link to photo's from their time at Makalolo or Matetsi I would love to see them.
I am so excited about this trip!
Thanks,
Renee
Minnesota
Mar 16th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Renee,

Congratulations on your upcoming visit to Zimbabwe.

If your dates are not already locked in, I would scramble the order so that you did it in the following order:

Joburg (1)
Matetsi Water Lodge (3)
Makalolo Plains (4)
Victoria Falls Hotel (1)

Given the fact that you are visiting Zimbabwe, I would say there is a 90% chance that you will be able to rearrange your dates.

It should be brought to your attention that Cabela's owners (husband & wife) are each elephant hunters, as well as hunters of other African wildlife. Personally, I will not buy from them, but that is a decision you must make for yourself.

I would think you would need nothing more than a good sweater for your night game drives in September...it will already have started heating up by September, but don't get caught without at least a good sweater or light jacket.

Good luck.
Mar 16th, 2005, 05:02 AM
sandi

We were there in at almost summer (end November) and it's downright cold in open vehicles both night and mornings. Wear socks, layers, have a scarf, even gloves, and maybe a hat. We all have different body temps, and even the blankets provided in the vehicles weren't sufficient for some. Saw big burly men shivering. Better prepared then uncomfortable. Other than morning and night game drives, your days should be mild.

Mar 16th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Rocco, My schedule is already booked, but what would the benefits of rearranging it be? Thanks
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I just think it would be a nicer flow to have 7 continuous days of safari, and to do your best gameviewing last at Makalolo Plains, with a final night of R&R at the Victoria Falls Hotel.

Anyway it turns out will be fine, but I do think that if you place too much emphasis on the solely the gameviewing at Matetsi that you may be disappointed after the plentiful game at Makalolo Plains. However, if you go to Matetsi with canoeing / sunset cruises / visit to Victoria Falls more in mind, it will be fine, and any gameviewing (elephants and giraffe are plentiful) will just be an added bonus.
Mar 16th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

One of our main reason to go to Matetsi was to get some canoeing in. I am hoping to see some animals there as well though, so I hope I am not disappointed. We really wanted to do the Mana Pools Canoe and Walking Safari but our budget just didn't allow it.

Search this Thread