Zambia next!

Jan 28th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Zambia next!

Well, my wife (RuthieC) has yet again persuaded me that we should forget the rest of the world and work our way through Africa instead. I have to say, it's NOT a chore for me!

Anyway, we fly BA from LHR to Lusaka on 17 March.We then take the short flight to Mfuwe and a land transfer to KAPANI LODGE for 2 nights.
This is followed by 3 nights at TAFIKA, 3 nights at NKWALI (all in South Luangwa). We then fly to Livingstone and head for the ISLANDS OF SIANKABA for 3 nights. Our trip will close with 1 night in CHAMINUKA before our flight back from Lusaka to London on 29 March.
48 days to go!!!!!!!
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Congratulations!

South Luangwa should be very beautiful at that time of the year, and you have a strong chance of seeing wild dog, before they retreat into the deeper part of the park by around late April.

I am sure you are going to have an amazing time.
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:58 AM

YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! Africa!!!!!!
Good decision, however you don't have to do it all in one year
So glad to hear the news. That Ruthie is a charmer!
The trip sounds great and I will be anxious to hear all about it and see your great photos.
I'm plugging along behind you. I go to Tanz. in March. Hope to catch the Wildies on the Southern Serengeti. Liz
Jan 28th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Wonderful news! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Jan 29th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Just to say that someone who reads every book on Africa and trawls the TV guides for every Africa related programmes doesn't need much persuading!
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Ruthie and the Governor

I bet you have a hoot traveling together.

What influenced your decision to include Kapani? (there are so many good S Luangwa choices) I have been thinking about 2 nights in Norman Carr's former residence for some future trip.

Have not been to the other camps you mentioned, except Tafika, and it remains a favorite. Some Tafika guests were lucky enough to have their own personal shower chameleons.
Jan 30th, 2005, 05:23 AM

atravelynn, yes we do have a great time travelling together - it's great that we both love Africa so much. I don't know how other people cope when their partners don't share this love of Africa.

Our choice of accomodation is based on the Emerald Season special that Robin Pope are offering. This gives a choice (in S Luangwa) of Nkwali, Kapani, Tafika, Kafunta and Mfuwe. We booked through Sunvil Africa in the UK and they recommended Kapani (they don't usually deal with Kafunta and therefore couldn't give a personal recommendation.) We didn't want to stay at Mfuwe as we felt it would be too large for us.

Other than that the website looks good and the camp seems to be well recommended in various travel articles.

If anyone is thinking of Zambia and is prepared to take the risk of some rain then this Emerald Season special is very good value. We have been able to book 12 nights accomodation plus international flights for under £2,200 each - pretty good value in my book.

Does anyone have views on Siankaba? Our first choice was Tongabezi but that is full for the nights we wanted.

Also, does anyone have any tips on preferences for the camps that we should ask for up front (eg room / tent number etc)

We promise a full trip report on our return and we'll be able to give first hand feedback on Kapani as well as the other camps.
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Just over 2 weeks to go!
We recently went to the Destinations 2005 exhibition in London and met Chris McIntyre, who wrote the Bradt guide to Zambia. He told us what to expect on this trip and managed to make us even more excited than we were already. At the same exhibition we also chatted with one of the staff from Kapani, who told us that the camp has very recently been fully refurbished and that we should expect a wonderful stay with them.

Our itinerary has been slightly revised since I originally wrote. This now looks as follows:
14 March London to Lusaka
15 March - Lusaka to Mfuwe, then
3 nights Kapani Lodge (Norman Carr Safaris)
3 nights Nkwali Camp (Robin Pope Safaris)
3 nights Tafika (Remote Africa Safaris)
3 nights Islands of Siankaba.
27 March Fly from Livingstone to Jo'burg, then home to London, arriving back on the 28th.
We have just received all the flight tickets and brochures. These have been checked and re-checked several times over,I can tell you!
Having recently acquired a 40GB image storage tank, I am all ready to take (photo) shots of anything that moves, or indeed anything that doesn't.
ZAMBIA HERE WE COME.......
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Amend line 1..... Just 3 weeks to go. See how excited I am?
Feb 21st, 2005, 11:57 AM

That sounds great Governor Phil!

So, are you going to brave the microlight while at Tafika?

The Luangwa Valley should be absolutely beautiful during your stay, and I would not be at all surprised if you did not spot wild dog during your stay. By about late April they seem to retreat deep into the park, but around your time they seem to still be around.

Have a great time, take lots of pictures, and post a report and photo album as soon as you can upon your return!
Feb 21st, 2005, 12:08 PM

Hope you get a lot of good pictures of animate and inanimate objects!

Search this Thread