Reload this Page >

june or september for East Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:15 AM
nicole

My husband and I are planning a safari to Kenya and Tanzania in either June (mid-end) or September (early) 2003. We would welcome opinions on the relative merits of each time not just for game viewing but also scenery, number of travellers, ease of travel (mud?), temperature etc.<BR><BR>Thanks very much!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Dick

Nicole, if you search on Tanzania you will see my post from our June, 2002 trip. I can comment only from that basis but June worked out quite well for us. Plus, we were able to take our teenage daughter w/o having to miss school. Weather was great, only the occassional mosquito in the rooms and netting kept us free. Would point out that our one morning in the Crater was quite chilly. If questions feel free to send an email.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Susan

Hi Nicole! My husband and I left for a 17 day safari in Kenya and Tanzania on Sept. 19, 2002, and I could not have been more pleased with the time we went. We went to the Mara, Amboseli, N-Crater, Tarangire and Selous. Not one day of rain. It was about 85 degrees during the day (warmer and more humid in Selous) and about 60 degrees at night, a bit cooler (about 55) at the N-Crater. We were not overrun by tourist vehicles in any of the locations except the Crater, which can't be helped. While there had been rain in some of the locations a week before we left, we didn't have a drop fall on us. All of the locations were very dry and dusty, but that is what we expected and certainly not enough to discourage us from being out all day. The beauty of the dryness was that we did not have any problems or encounters with bugs. No problems driving in any of the locations. I am planning on going back the same time in 2004. Have a wonderful trip!!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 04:42 AM
Myriam

Our Kenyan safari was in September as well and I can only echo Susan. Have visited Tsavo, Amboseli, Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru. Ended with one week at the beach south of Mombasa. Weather was perfect with only half a day of rain when we were in the beach resort.<BR>Lots of game (we did get to see the big five) because of the drought. The advantage of drought is the lack of mosquitos!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:44 AM
nicole

Thanks everyone for your helpful postings and for e-mail responses too. The general consensus seems to be that either time to travel is good (noone has sent me a bad experience at all, actually). Excellent info on companies and generally what to expect was also gratefully received!<BR><BR>I am sure we will be posting more questions as we make decisions and our trip gets closer.<BR><BR>Thanks again<BR><BR>Nicole

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:51 AM
laura

Both times are fabulous -- you just need to pick the right parks for the right time of year. In June, you should concentrate on the Serengeti as the wildebeest should still be there, on their migration north (though this is dependent on the year's rainfall). In September there is no place better than the Mara...the wildebeest should be there in force, and crossing the rivers back to the Serengeti -- it is truly a sight to behold!