Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Safari Options: Tanzania/Kenya in June or Botswana/South Africa in May?

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello....I'm getting married late April 2006. My dream honeymoon involves an African safari! East Africa (Tanz/Kenya) was the first choice and Southern Africa (Botswana/S. Africa) the second. It seems that a May safari in East Africa is ill timed because of the long rainy season. Anyone know what the safari conditions are like in East Africa come June? What about Botswana/South Africa in May? Thanks!!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
sandi

There's very little, if any space available in Tanzania for June which is an ideal time to be in the Western Serengeti for a few days. In this area of the Serengeti you'd be able to catch the Wildebeest migration as it moves onto the Masai Mara in Kenya (arriving there late-July).

And because the Serengeti is booked, so too will be Tarangire, Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater.

Depending on your budget, the higher prices accommodations - not good. For basic or semi-lux camping you might luck out.

What is your budget to East of Southern Africa?

Better though - June is good in Kenya. We were there early June 2005 and most everywhere we stayed - plenty of room, few tourists. And, good prices before June 15 (some properties); other until June 30.

Usual stops for a Kenyan safari include Amboseli, Lake Nakuru, Mt. Kenya area, Samburu and the Masai Mara; none will disappoint. And, if you like your first-time experience, you can then plan way ahead and return to visit Tanzania.

I'll leave comments re Botswana/South Africa to others.

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:34 PM

I think late May to June would be OK weather wise in East Africa. We were told that the rains generally occur in April and start to taper off by mid-May and that there are few tourists in Kenya at this time of year. We've been to Kenya in Feb and Nov and if we were to return again I think late May/early Jun is the time of year we'd pick. We've found that we much prefer Kenya in the low season and I'd love to see it when everything is green.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Botswana & SA for that time of year gets my vote:
1) Prices are lower than July onwards.
2) The weather is tops: It can be cool at night, but the days are shorts and T shirt gear.
3) The delta flood migh be pushing in by then making it a rich and enchanting waterway.
4) If you thought cruising the canals of venice in a gondlier to be romantic, then wait until you cruise the reed lined channels of the delta in a mokoro!

Lastly choose yoour camps well and you'll have the best honeymoon imaginable.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 04:27 AM

MIght also want to consider southern Tanzania. Althought game density will be lower than in northern parks, crowd density will be much, much lower and I believe accommodations are still to be had at reasonable prices. As I mentioned in post months ago regarding Mikumi, Ruaha and Selous areas, we would like to return again in June but a bit later in summer would even be better as things particularly in Mikumi and Ruaha will be drier and wildlife will be easier to spot. Having said that we would still be delighted in another mid-late June visit based on excellent time we had there this year. Dick
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 05:30 AM
sandi

For the Southern Tanzanian circuit - Selous, Ruaha and Mikumi - closed April and May due to the "wet" The camps here re-open first-week June. As Dick mentions mid- to late-June better as the high grasses for the earlier rains does make game viewing somewhat difficult.

That aside, game viewing is different and you don't have the very open plains of the Serengeti or the Mara in Kenya, but animal diversity is wonderful. The best is that there are few other vehicles to come across.

Sand River at Selous and Jongomero at Ruaha are lovely and romantic. These are usually visited from Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) with four or three days each, flight dependent; flying to and between these two parks and returning to DAR. Then from DAR you can conclude your honeymoon at a beach resort... along the coast not far from DAR or a short flight to Zanzibar with plenty of accommodations at every budget or Pemba Island (Fundu Lagoon) the best here.

All depending on your budget for your honeymoon.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:51 AM

In first week of june 2004 I visited both mara and serengeti. In mara the rates can be good but the wildlife viewing is way below average as the grass is a meter high.Maybe I was unlucky. Stayed for 2 nights mara serena(saw only 2 lions) and 3 nights (western serengeti)kirawira (both serena properties) There was some resident wildlife at kirwira but nothing compated to seronera area. The migration was in between kirawira and seronera and some huge herds were also in seronera area. I took a full day game drive to see the migration. The problem is the tall grass, so I think it is better to spend a little bit more but go in the dry season when u will definately see more wildlife.