Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is mid November a good time to visit Egypt?Anyone been on Trafargartours or Globus before?

Search

Is mid November a good time to visit Egypt?Anyone been on Trafargartours or Globus before?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Win

Hi everyone,<BR><BR>My husband and I are thinking of visiting Egypt in mid November 02. Do you think it is a good time to go?. Would anyone here know what kind of weather to expect..temperature..etc? Also we are thinking of flying to Cairo and get on an excursion by Trafalgartours or Globus. Any comments are greatly appreciated since this is the first time we are joining these tour companies. If you know of any other tour companies and have used them personally, please let me have their website/telepphone nos. Thank you.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Dianne

Great weather in November. Warm, not too hot.<BR>Look closely at the itineraries of the tour you choose. I picked Globus over Trafalgar in 1995 because Trafalgar's left Cairo for Luxor on Day 2. That meant 4am wake up calls the day after you arrive in Egypt! Way too hard. Globus did Cairo first then flew south.<BR>Have your travel agent call the companies and get all the details before you decide. My experience has been that it's easier to get info from Globus than Trafalgar.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:25 AM
gail

We did 10-day Globus tour of Egypt 18 months ago. Great trip. I think they still have same tour, so check itinerary.<BR><BR>We went in April and it was hot, so by suggestion of guide and agreement from travelers, we were up early most days - starting about 7 AM to see sites before crowds and heat were oppressive. <BR><BR>All logistical details went perfectly - from time we were met at airport in Cairo and assisted with visa/luggage, etc process to all transportation, hotels. Hotels were very nice and convenient. 10 days is a little short to see all the tour attempts, but that was time that fit in with our schedule - we hope to return some day.<BR><BR>All internal flights in Egypt by EgyptAir - better airline than you would guess. Big buses for city touring. A lot of walking, but certainly manageable. <BR><BR>If you go, read the many posts here about clothing, food safety, tipping, scam artists - they will make your trip more enjoyable.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Win

Thanks Dianne for that very important info about getting up at 4am on the second day. It will surely ruin the holiday. Dont want my eyes looking like a panda's showing in my photographs!! Thanks to Gail too..both of you seem to point to Globus. I'm kind of biased towards Globus now as I dont think I want to fly again on the 2nd day after that long long flight to Egypt. As I read some threads here, it was suggested that Ramadan is not a good time to go there and I think November IS Ramadan. Any view on this?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:56 AM
Mel

We took the Globus Tour during Ramadan (it was December 1999). There was some inconvenience because some sites closed earlier that usual but our guide knew which sites and adjusted our schedule accordingly. Also, our guides and drivers couldn't eat with us during the day as they were fasting. As far as the tour itself goes, we liked our the hotels, guide, sightseeing, etc. very much. The cruise ship (for the Nile Cruise portion) was fabulous. All in all it was one of the best vacations ever - we were happy with Globus and loved Egypt. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:03 AM
ellen

Went to Egypt in early October last year with Overseas Adventure Travel and had a marvelous time. I prefer them to Globus and Trafalgar because the groups are smaller. www.oattravel.com They also do not charge a single supplement if you are willing to share. Their guides and itinerary are outstanding. Egypt is so spread out and language is a factor that I would defintely use a guide service. I thought Egypt Air was the worst airline I had ever been on. The men did not hassle us at all except to BUY things. Ellen

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Dick

Used Globus on Israel/Egypt in June of 2000. Was very pleased with services. Our group was about 35 in number with a nice mix of family groups, couples, and a few singles. Would use Globus again. Referenced several brochures and saw more than one of the big companies had basically the same itinary but in some cases major differences in price. Have a great trip.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Donna Boychuk

Hi Win: Mid November is Ramadan this year, meaning to non-muslims that businesses, sites etc. do close earlier than usual and there will be far less people on the streets during the day; however after evening prayers (8 pm) everything opens up again till about 11pm. It's then "break-fast" time; and the whole city comes alive - street entertainment, festivities and general pandamonium everywhere - much like mardi gras. About 2 or 3 am, the muslims have their second meal and it's near sunrise when people head for their beds. Hope you're a nite owl! Cairo weather will be around 70-75 during the day and cooling down to around 60 at nite. Further south (Luxor/Aswan), temperatures will be more in the range of 85 daytime and 70 at nite. As an alternative, check out MISR Travel.com; it is the travel agency run by the Egyptian Government - which pretty well assures a pleasurable tour (as they wouldn't want any negative feedback). Also their prices are extremely good and everything is first rate. We are going with them (again) and will also be there in mid-November. Maybe we'll run into each other! P.S. they also have an office in New York.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Patricia

Was in Egypt in early November 2 years ago. Great weather!!! Ranged from warm to slightly hot--not broiling. Probably the greatest month to go. We missed Ramadan. We thought Egypt air was great--on time, lots of leg room. Dinner was pretty bad both ways and their choice of movies stunk, but everything else was just fine.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 03:08 PM
xxx

We were in Egypt during Ramadan in November 2000. Weather was great. Ramadan was interesting. No problem with things being closed, although some sites closed early. In Cairo, the normally chaotic streets would become deserted around 5pm (sunset) when everyone went home to break their fast! Everyone slept late as well (because they were out partying late into the night), so no traffic in the early morning either. It was an interesting experience. All in all, a good time to go I think.