Yellow Fever and Malaria Prevention

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be on Northern Circuit safari only in Tanzania late October.

Must I show proof of yellow fever shot? And if so, how soon should I get the shot?

About malaria...I understand there are a few options re: prevention. Recommendations, please.

Thanks.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM

It's good to have the Yellow Fever inoculation. I've never been asked, but always keep up-to-date. Also, it depends where you're coming from when you enter TZ. It's required if you come from Kenya.

Malaria: Yes, definitely eat the pills. Also cover up from dusk 'til dawn, sleep under the netting and spray yourself with deet ... eeywuuh!! ... as needed. I use SkeeterBeater as a repellant. Works for me, even for tse-tse flies sometimes.

http://www.naturesgift.com/skeeter.htm
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:38 AM

safarimama
Very good advise regarding the netting. Regrettably most camps in East Africa (and many in BOTs) INSIST on having "100% mosquito proof tents" and therefore don't provide any netting. We all know there is no such thing like a "100% insect proof tent" in the world.

I always carry my own and hang it - even when we have to re-design the interior. It's also peace of mind in view to scorpions, spiders, snakes.

SV
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:47 AM

You must get the yellow fever shot no later than 10 days before you start travel for the certificate to be accepted. If you're certain you're going I'd get the shot as soon as possible.

Steve
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM

I should have added: The yellow fever shot might have a negative impact on you which lasts for a couple of days. So rather get it early. The vaccinations is valid for 10 years and needs a freshers then.

SV
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM

SandraJoy,

Definitely get the yellow fever innoculation plus anything else recommended by your local health department. I hesitated about a few and was so glad I was "covered" once I got there. As far as malaria prevention goes, there are plenty of Fodor's threads on the subject but your best bet is to consult your physician or local health department. The three primary meds used for prevention all have pros and cons. You need to be properly informed so you can make a decision - but, definitely take something. Malaria is not a souvenir anyone wants to bring home.

anita
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM

It takes 10/days for the YF inoc to take effect. Then it's good for 10/yrs. If arriving direct from Europe to Tanzania, this inoc is not needed. Many choose to have to cover especially if have plans to visit other African countries soon after having been to Tanzania or Kenya. Example: if heading to South Africa... they won't allow entry without proof of the YF inoc. YF inocs are expensive ($150-$225) and not covered by insurance.

Malaria Meds - see www.cdc.gov/travel (select Tanzania) with info on the common meds suggested - Malarone, Lariam or doxycycline (the latter not specific for malaria, but offered to those who for whatever reasonn can't take the others). All have their pros/cons, different protocols, and costs.

There are many many threads here (do a search) about recommended inoculations (besides YF), which info you can also find on the CDC site. Generally,

Personally, I feel adult travelers should be inoculated for certain possibilities regardless where they travel. Diseases which can be contracted anywhere, even around the corner from your home. You don't need to travel to Africa for these. Consider those for: Tetenus, Hep-A and a Polio Booster - the most oft recommended.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM

WOW sandi - YF vaccination in Germany costs 40€. That shows how artificially created these prices are.

SV
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM

... they sure get us on that one! My last jab cost about $120; recently inquired and the prices varied from $150 up; some places even wanted an office visit fee... ugh! A Public Health Clinic might have YF at a slightly lower cost.

Hey, it's not like YF (or Malaria for that matter) are problems in the States, so those who need wind up paying dearly.

Most of our brand-name drug prices are ridiculously high and unlikely to be imports, but manufacturered right here! Any wonder why our health care system is in the headlines these days?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Add the new shingles vaccine, Zoster to your list also. Cost: $200.00, plus the office visit, plus $50.00 to give the shot. That was by my own family doctor. I also needed a Tetanus booster. Cost $50.00 for the vaccine plus $20.00 to stab me. Now the flu shots ... maybe! Are you getting those?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

this is interesting news from Sandi. "YF shot not required if travel is direct from Europe to Tanzania" We have no plans to travel to Kenya...and have been to South Africa and at our aqe, this is probably our last trip to Africa.

Is this information widely known? As I've read this forum, I've seen that a few people have been stopped for not having the YF card.

I see on the CDC site that YF is prevalent in Tanzania but that the shot is only required, as Sandi mentioned, if we come from a country where it's prevanent. So, to be prudent, since we're there 12 days, I guess we'll get the shots.

Comments?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM

From what I've read and heard, I'd say definitely get the shots. I will be spending my entire trip in Tanzania (Zanzibar and mainland) and therefore do not 'require' the YF vaccination. However, I will get it just for my own piece of mind since YF is found in the area.

Deborah
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 03:13 AM

Timely thread for us as I finalize our TZ, SA and Namibia plans. Yellow Fever vaccine is $75.00 Canadian - not too bad.

The Shingles Vaccine is an interesting addition to our list - hadn't thought of it at all. Just checked and in Canada it's recommended for those over 60 so at least my husband will get it.

One more suggestion is DukOral - an oral vaccine for traveler's tummy. We have taken it for the last 3 trips to areas with water problems (e coli specifically) and haven't had any problems - maybe a placebo for us but I'm willing to keep doing it! We also take a Pepto Bismol tablet morning and night in those areas - apparently it helps the stomach fight a little harder.

Here's a link to information re DukOral (not sure if it's available in the US)

http://www.crucell.com/Products/Dukoral

When we last took Malarone (for travel to Cambodia) I asked the travel doctor about the main side effect of it versus Lariam - "bankruptcy" she answered.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 03:39 AM

Sandra
When you arrive from the States means you are NOT coming from a YF destination and head back to States. Therefore you don't need to proof you have got the YF shot. Check whether you need the proof for re-entering the US. That might be the case.

As TAZ (and East Africa) is a YF destination I would definitely get the shot.

EA countries ask for proof that you don't add to the risk of spreading the disease when coming from another EA country.

Gosh - I hope I could get across what I mean.

SV
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 03:43 AM

sandi
In Germany you cannot get the YF vaccination from "regular" MD's. You only get it at public health departments. No further fee except for the shot.

SF
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM

Availability of YF inoc in the US are mostly from hospitals, travel clinics or public health facilities. However, more and more independent physicians can now provide these.

See: www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yellowfever/
Select your state and scroll to see who.

Last year I had Tetenus booster (no charge) and last month my HepA booster (no charge) this latter now good for life.
My Polio, from a few years back (no charge), is good for balance of my life.

Since the H1N1 flu shot will not be available at first for all, I'd suggest you consider the regular seasonal flu (even if not 50+/yrs). Have mine scheduled for next week (no charge).

Guess those "no charges" get charged to my insurer, as I'm sure it's not free.

I only ever pay for my Malarone or Lariam at reduced prices thru my Drug plan... maybe $25-$30.

Have a great doc, but he made no mention of the Shingles jab. Will ask when I go in for my seasonal flu.

Reminder - YF is not for those allergic to eggs or over age 60/yrs (as indicated on the CDC site).

Believe last YF outbreak in EA was sometime in the 90s and certainly not in the areas visited by tourists.

Gather the information, print out, discuss with your physician and then make a decisionn based on your personal health history/situation. There are no absolutes, for or against, for everyone.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:51 AM

sandi - thanks for the heads up on the 60+ issue although I don't think the CDC site quite says "no" for over 60 - here's the quote I read

"To determine if vaccination should be administered to travelers 60 years of age or older, the risks and benefits of vaccination should be weighed against their destination-specific risk for exposure to YFV"

Isn't it somewhat moot if you are traveling to an area that requires a YF certificate? Do they accept waivers for 60+?
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM

The YF certificate is only required of those coming from a YF endemic area... other African countries as those listed. Where such visitor might already have YF and could possibly transmit the disease. Otherwise, the risk of exposure for tourists is low and as above, there hasn't been an outbreak since the early-90s. And, even when I first visited in the 90s, it wasn't a requirement for those from Western countries.

Yes, waivers from doctors for those allergic or over a certain age are accepted.

Again, there are no absolutes, as everyone has to make their own decisions based on their particular circumstances. With the exception of a few medical professionals who occasional post here, the rest of the info found here is based on the experiences of us "common" visitors Why you need to discuss with the professional and go from there.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks sandi - we have already scheduled a consultation at our travel clinic and I found the 60+ info interesting. We fly to Nairobi and then to Tanzania, South Africa, Namibia and possibly overland into Botswana and Zambia........so it is something to discuss with the travel doctor. Thx again
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Well, if going to SA having been in East Africa first, you definitely need the YF or they won't allow you entry! So, that's settled, I guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -