Worst Mosquito months at Krueger Park?

Aug 5th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Worst Mosquito months at Krueger Park?

What months might be the worst for Mosquitos in the Krueger Park area? What months are the best to avoid them? Thanks.
Aug 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM

We were not in Kruger. We were in Timbavati and Sabi Sands in late May of this year. I can honestly tell you we didn't see one mosquito in either location. I don't know if this was unsual but if not, I vote for May as being the best mosquito free month.
Aug 5th, 2004, 01:20 PM
sandi

Its less likely to have mosquitos in cold and drier months. That said, one would think the months of July, Aug and Sept (the winter down SA way) would be best. But weather is weather and guaranteed as much as animal sightings - not! And the winter months in the Kruger area don't guarantee good weather in other areas if you're traveling around the country.

High altitude (over 5,000' which Kruger is not) and cold, are likely to eliminate the possibility of mosquitos, but one should always be prepared should next year have a warmer than usual winter.

If mosquitos and having to take malaria meds and use of repellent are a concern, you should consider areas in SA that are malaria free. There was a recent post about malaria free game reserves. Doing a search on this board should bring it up for you.

Aug 6th, 2004, 05:33 AM

If your question is prompted by the risk of malaria, the recommendations from the Medical Research Council, South Africa are that October to May are the risk months.

More detail and a map at http://www.malaria.org.za/Malaria_Ri.../risk_maps.htm.
Aug 6th, 2004, 05:38 AM

We were in the area last Oct/Nov, and had very little problems with the mozzies. Every hotel/lodge supplies repellent, both the spray and the wet-wipe version. I think I rec'd 3 bites the entire time.

Search this Thread