Wonderful Cape Town

Oct 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful Cape Town

I had some free time yesterday so I went down to the Cape Town waterfront to enjoy my morning. The temperature was a perfectly warm 25C. The skies were powedery blue and there was a very slight breeze which kept me cool as I walked around in the waterfront under a cloudless sky.

I stopped at a coffee shop where I sat down and ordered a cappacino + toasted sandwich, the cost of which came to the princely sum of R60 inclusive of a tip (US$ 7 or GBP 4) . The coffee shop was filled with visitors to Cape Town and a couple of Capetonian business people. Directly opposite us in a shaded area there was a 7 piece marimba band playing wonderful music to match the ambiance of the area. Table Mountain stood majestically behind us while seals were playing in the still harbour water that was 40 yards away from where I was sitting. People were walking around in casual attire simply enjoying the fabulous weather and great atmosphere. The whole experience was so relaxing and enjoyable that I felt like pinching myself to say “Wow this is your wonderful city “ While the visitors to my city were experiencing this all I once again thought to myself “they are enjoying themselves but most of them they can only do this for 2-3 days in their lifetime whereas I have this type of day for at least 270 days of every year.” What a gigantic privilege I truly have to be a Capetonian.

The moral of the story is never miss visiting Cape Town if you ever join us for a vacation in our great country because you will be missing out on one of the very rare and wonderful privileges in the world of travel.

I most certainly remain very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Oct 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Hi Selwyn,

greetings from Cornwall. although we have equally beautiful waterside spots, rarely can we enjoy them in temperatures of 25C.

and of course we lack the table mountain backdrop.

we'll be back, one day.

regards, ann
Oct 7th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Beautifully written and bringing most wonderful memories.....
You are indeed a lucky man!
Oct 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Selwyn, your description took me back to beautiful, beautiful Cape Town and once again I regret I only had 3 days when I was there. I loved Cape Town and would go back in a heartbeat. Thanks for sharing that picture of a city that is not to be missed.
Oct 7th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Selwyn, great description, and hopefully we all love our cities as much as you do -- I certainly have very similar feelings often in NY, and I think how lucky I am to live here (notwithstanding my frequent travel, I always look forward to returning home, and I relish a weekend in NY "almost" as much as I enjoy traveling).

Also, like you, I really enjoy exploring my home country, and I spent I spent last weekend in Tucson, AZ, where I had never visited, and it was stunning.

Michael
Oct 7th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Selwyn,
Great way to spend a morning!
Karen & I will be back in Capetown on Nov. 14th and then again on Dec. 2nd. I hope we can enjoy the same weather.
Mike
Oct 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM

WOW!!! I love Capetown too. One of my 4 favorite cities in the world so far!

This is how Seattle is on a great day too - ... - except we drink Starbucks and see Mt. Rainier in the back-ground with the Olympic Mountains across Puget Sound and the Cascade Mountains to the East. My favorite coffee is a double tall wet cap!

Search this Thread