Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Why did MalaMala cover the buffalo carcass?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd bring this out separately from my trip report I'm (still) working on.
While I was at Kirkmans Kamp Sabi Sand a buffalo died (not killed) in the Sand River bank on MalaMala property and was being eaten by predators. On the evening of Sep 17th MalaMala ranger(s) cut down several small nearby trees and covered the buffalo carcass. Here is a link to a photo showing the carcass and many small cut trees. http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/...5d377e06g.jpgA
A leopard was feeding on it at the time. By then (late morning) many of the branches had been either pushed aside or predators had dragged the carcass some away. Needless to say, the branches restricted and made viewing difficult.

The carcass was on MalaMala property that Kikmans Kamp is allowed to traverse. Everyone at Kirkmans wondered why MalaMala had covered the carcass. I heard no good widely accepted explanation (that I can print). I asked my guide why Kirkmans didn't ask MalaMala about it and he said that they rarely talk to each other.

Anyone have an explanation why MalaMala would cover the carcass? I have not heard of doing such before. Seems to violate the "undisturbed nature" philosophy of camps.

regards - tom
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, this link works to photo (looks like an "A" got stuck onto "jpg" above-
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/...25d377e06g.jpg

regards - tpm
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Just odd. It's not like the animals wouldn't still be able to seek it out. Your photo proves at lease one leopard did. Would they think guests might find the carcass disturbing and not want to see it? Is this a prank? Something territorial like gang signs?
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Very very weird! I can honestly not think of one rational reason for doing this...just odd? mmm...
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Very odd. If no one comes up with an answer, I can always ask when I go to MM in December.
Can't wait for your trip report, Tom!!! Expecting some good leopard shots. Did you get a new camera before your trip. I know that Nikon came out w/ the D300S, but I think I read that you switched to Canon?

Pat
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

That leopard was a very bold fellow. He was most wary of the lions returning, they had been feeding on the carcass. He looked up every minute or so. My guide said that a few months prior he had barely escaped from a battle with four female lions (Eyrefield pride?).

That afternoon game drive the Roller Coaster male from the Eyrefield pride was feeding on the carcass. And I think the day before, before it was covered, other Eyrefield pride lions were on it. But I did not see it/them then. Covering it - might be trying to hide it from vultures?

regards - tom
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Pat - sorry, you may be disappointed in my leopard photos. Saw 8 different leopards but I'm not overly excited about any of their photos. No, no new camera, still using Nikon D200 and D40x. No reason to switch to Canon, both are essentially equal in photographic capability. The limiting factor is - ME!!!

Re an answer, I know that at least one manager at MM used to read this forum and I presume they still do. But they have never posted to the forum, so . . . . I'm hoping there is a logical answer that I haven't thought of and someone like our "PredatorBiologist" will come up with it. Good, let's keep it in mind for your MM visit in two months (lucky you). May be our best way.

regards - tom
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Tom - I printed off the photo (in case it disappears) and put it with the "Africa pile". I doubt we will be disappointed in your photos. I have the same "ME" limiting factor, but admit that I have been toying with buying the D300S...
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Pat - hope photo printed ok, it's a rather small file. The chopped trunk of front left-center tree is clearly visible and the trees on the right are clearly laid down. Be sure and write the date on it, was taken Sep 17th. I'm not sure of exact location but was on MM property that Kirkmans may use. And in Sand River sand bank. Before I forget, if you do ask at MM, try to show it to/ask of Nils Kure. Nils is head ranger, manager, boss, and allround splendid chap. If anyone knows the answer it would be he. Have dinner with him if you can, very interesting to talk with. Tell him Tom Graham says hello, see if he still remembers me.

Won't hurt any to have the D300s . I've forgotten, what are you using now? And what lenses? (On my D200 I use the 70-300VR which is fine telephoto range - except for birding). So much of a good wildlife (leopard) photography is serendipity. The view the leopard gives you, the light and of course you have to be there at the right time for it all.

regards - tom
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 06:25 PM

Tom: The photo printed just fine for what we need it to show. Wrote the info down on it and will be sure to seek out Nils. Currently, I have two D70's and normally use a 70-200VR f2.8 on one and a 80-400 4.0-5.6 on the other. Have been wondering if I should rent the 200-400vr f4 so I could use a teleconverter..but maybe I don't absolutely have to have the extra length at MM an Mombo?? I would rather not spend any more $$....ugh (as I ponder dropping big $$ on the D300S), good thing I told my daughter this trip was a graduation/inheritance gift as there might not be any left $$!!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Pat - nice set of telephotos zooms. Not sure though if you need both, I'd be tempted to take just the 80-400. The 200-400 is a great lens as well. But that's me, I'm very reluctant to tote so much kit around. And, you do also have a wide angle zoom, yes?

Unless you're into birds, 400mm will be enough at MM. As for Mombo not sure, guess it would, have not been there. You might post the question and Chuck (safarichuck1) who frequents Mombo (and takes superb photos) will know. Chuck has thread running now "Essential Photographic Gear", as you know, pop in there again and ask him. Of course with anything over 400mm you will need camera/lens support just to handle the weight if not shake.

As for whether to get the D300s to replace a D70 (guess you could take all 3 but 2 should do it). Tough call. Someday you will want to update the D70 and this may be the time. On the other hand, I'm not sure how you will take advantage of double the megapixels and higher ISO capability. It's like, how much cropping of the image do you expect to do and/or how big prints? Higher ISO I like for capability of higher shutter speeds, not so much for shooting in the dark. For me, when the sun starts to set the light quality is gone and I don't care about moonlit photos at 12,000 ISO, even if possible.

regards - tom
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM

I HAVE THE ANSWER!

The carcass was of a sub adult buffalo of about four years old. It was found on the eastern bank of the Sand River. Mala Mala rangers and management suspected it might have died from anthrax so they covered it with branches to stop any predators feeding on it until they could get the vet results back. It died from some disease but not anthrax so they then removed the branches. Anthrax would have killed any predator feeding on the meat but what it died from, the vet hadn't worked it out yet, wouldn't harm predators.

Tom, Nils is not the head ranger. Ant Mulligan is.

Kind Regards,

KK
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KK. Best, most logical answer I think. You have contact in MM or did Kirkmans finally get an explanation (can you say)? Nils is still there, yes?

But would a few branches like I saw keep predators from feeding on it? Maybe so, what experience do I have covering dead bodies in Africa?!?! Also, I wonder if if predators had already fed on it before it was covered? And if MM UN-covered it the did not do a good job of it, the branches very much obstructed viewing and photography. I suppose if it had tested with anthrax they would have hauled it away? Anyway thanks again KK, sounds plausible.

regards - tom
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM

cary,

only a pleasure. I recieved the explanation from MM. Yip, Nils is till there. He is in charge of the ranger-training at MM. This is his 20th year at MM. Amazing! The male you saw at the carcass was the Tjellahanga Male. He WILL sniff any carcass out on the KK property! It's actually quite rediculous!

Kind Regards,

KK
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Cary,

When are you posting your trip report?? I can't wait any longer!! Waiting on the edge of my seat!!

KK
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM

I was actually going to say anthrax (really), but covering it with branches might obscure it from people, but not from the noses of the predators.

Anyway, welcome back!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Happy to hear Nils is there, he has a great book "Living With Leopards", if you can find a copy, last I heard it was out of print. Thanks for correction on the male lion, I was told wrong. But now disappointed because in 2007 I saw Roller Coaster and thought this was the last time I would see him.

Ok, by popular demand , I promise my trip report this coming Tues or Wed.

regards - tom
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Cary,

The male lion you saw was indeed the Rollercoaster male, but the male leopard in your photo is the Tjellahanga Male leopard.

I've got Nils' book on my shelf right next to Lex Hes' "Leopards of Londolozi". Two amazing books!

Regards,

KK
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again KK, I feel better now knowing I did indeed see Rollercoaster. He may not be around much longer. Last of the original 6 male coalition I think. The magnificent male lion I saw a lot -last- year at Kings Camp (Schobele male) is no longer seen, although he may be around.

regards - tom
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM

The antrax answer doesn't satisfy me at all. IF that was MM's fear - it would mean that they were acting rather culpable careless.

There must be some other reason for it as I don't assume they are that, well, dumb - not taking into account that predators would have got to the carcass and these barrier were insufficient to keep them away which would have put all predators into danger.

When we were driving in Mpumalanga we passed some mouth and foot disease barriers where we were asked whether we had got meat in the car.

It's so sad that anything which involves Mala Mala is rather disappointing.

Why can't they act simply "normal" having "normal" relations with neighbours as most lodges support. Would make life much easier for all involved.

Thank you Tom for sharing the pic.

SV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -