Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

white noise machine for snoring partner?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - have been trying to figure out the best way to deal with rooming with my mom and her chainsaw snoring.

If I take a white noise machine (small plug-in fan) and the appropriate adaptor & converter will that work? I'm worried about leaving something plugged in for that long a time period (overnight).

I tried buying a Marsona white noise machine that can be used in either US or international outlets but that noise was not the best for sleeping -more of a static-y hiss than the fan I'm used to using.

I'm wondering if there's a way to buy appliances from a European source that would be the correct format to use there and in Egypt. Does anyone know of an online store that would sell something like a small fan or air filter that I could buy now and take with me to Egypt?

Thanks for any advice - I know this is petty but not sleeping for 2 weeks will not be fun!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:09 PM
P_M

OMG Leslie, if I didn't know better I would think this post was written by ME!! My mom and I used to travel together and we had the exact same problem. I tried earplugs and that helped a little but you can't completely drown out the sound of a freight train going through your room. (actually, a freight train in the room might have been quieter than Mom's snoring. ;-) )

I am posting mainly to bookmark this thread and read any answers you get. Mom and I never found a solution and on our last trip we agreed that seperate rooms would be best. I know that's not the most economical way to travel, but you really must sleep.

You might consider posting this question in the Fodorite Lounge, I think you'll get more responses. Good luck.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM

I live near a fire station in NYC and have found this devise to be the best: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/60586.asp

It plugs in, however.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM

We use a small battery-powered fan around the house. Would something like that work for you? West Marine lists one on their website: www.westmarine.com. Just do a search for "battery powered crew fan".
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM

it sounds as if you are going to Egypt - true? because in some of the lodges in africa south of the sahara, there is no electricity at night. You might want to double check...
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM

I live on a street which is the main thoroughfare for emergency vehicles on their way to a major hospital, and I've tried every ear plug manufactured.

I swear by these: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yvnc92

Not only do they prevent mom's snoring from keeping me awake, but I didn't even hear the lion roaring outside my room a few weeks ago.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Hi Leslie,

Has your mom has ever been checked for a sleep disorder? She may have sleep apnea or something else called UARS.

The reason I ask is that I used to snore like a chainsaw as well and it was a real trial for DH (who also snores but not as badly as me.)

A new family physician caught on and referred me to a sleep clinic where I was diagnosed with UARS. The upshot is that I now sleep with a CPAP. I'm not exactly the most feminine and attractive at night but now but I sleep LOADS better, my blood pressure is way down, I no longer snore and my husband can sleep without earplugs -- all really, really good things. But my husband's snoring and the machine noise bother me juuussstt enough that I use earplugs. They provide enough sound elimination for me.

I have found a way to take my CPAP with me on an upcoming safari. If you want to explore this possiblity more with your mom then do a search on this board for CPAP to find more details.

I hope you find something that works for you - and your mom, too!

-doo
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM

Hi,My husband just got a Goodknight c-pap & a small battery to charge it. We are going on a safari in November. Is this what you use?
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Leslie,

Sorry...a quick addendum here...try also searching under c-pap or c-paps. I've got a thorough response somewhere about using one with a car battery.

Good luck - whatever you do.

-doo
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful advice -- I think if I take a battery-operated fan or noise machine and a bunch of batteries, some earplugs, and Lunesta I should be able to make it.

She would never bother with a CPAP machine -- would never worry about health issues related to sleep apnea -- so thanks for that good advice but it will be wasted on her.

This will be our first trip sharing a room - if it does not work out then we'll be booking separate rooms from now on!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Why don't you try a night sharing a room at home first, with whatever white noise solution you are planning? The reason I'm suggesting that is because I can't figure out how a quiet little fan will help anything if her snoring is loud. I would think you would need a much noisier white noise to do any good.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Don't know if this will work for you, but I make my snoring DH lay on his side when snoring rather than on his back which induces snoring.
It's part of the act, he snores, I nudge, he turns on his side, snoring stops.
Also make sure that her pillow is not up to high or low as either will put the head in a snore inducing position.
Good luck!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:57 AM

It would be really unfortunate to miss the sounds of the bush (if that's where you'll be) by having to use anything to block out sounds. But it would also be really unfortunate to spend the entire trip sleep deprived. Wake her up every time she snores?
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Cattle prod.

We'll be in hotels in Egypt so no bush sounds to miss. I'll feel like I'm in the bush with snorting wildebeasts, I'm afraid...
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM

There is the best little cheap sleeping pill available in Egypt if you'd consider drugs to help you sleep. No hangover at all and they are very inexpensive at any drugstore.

Zolam 25mg or 50mg

FAB!!

If you have a problem getting a pharmacist to give them to you, contact me and I'll get you the number of a pharmacist that I know will sell them to you.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM
P_M

Leslie, I hate to be the pessimist in this crowd, but I've been there, done that, and seperate rooms was the only solution for my mom and me. I like the idea for trying to share a room home first. Please post back and let us know how it went.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Leslie,

It sounds like you'll _both_ be sleep deprived what with having to wake her every time she wakes you up. What a rotten situation! I sure hope you _both_ can enjoy the trip :- /

-doo
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 02:18 PM

At home I use a "sleepsounds" machine from Brookstone. I like to say it saved my husbands life. Nothing else solved the problem for us. For travel, they make a small battery operated version. I think it is called travelsounds. There are a few different sounds to choose from, and I am pretty sure one of them is a fan sound. I am partial to the white noise setting. I prop it up against the side of his pillow facing me and crank it up as needed. It is not quite as good as the full size version, but it does the trick. I get to sleep and he gets to live.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM

My mom loves to read before sleeping, so I make sure I turn over and start to fall asleep (with the earplugs in) before she finishes reading. That way, I'm usually fast asleep before the volume really turns up.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Breathe Right strips for your mom and earplugs for you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -