Which camps do triples?

Sep 30th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Which camps do triples?

Hi all,
After having a fabulous northern circuit safari in Tanzania this year I am now in the throws of planning another trip for 2008.

I wonder if you could help me sift through the tented camps that can accommodate 3 people/tent. Pictures of Sayari look as though they do, and that is certainly 1 of the camps we've chosen to visit. We stayed at Kirurumu and Tarangire River Camp this year, both of which could accommodate 3/tent. At Kirawira, we had to have 2 tents.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sep 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM

You didn't mention what country you were interested in but if you go to Botswana, we had a family tent for 3 of us at Jao, Chitabe Trails and Duma Tau-also the River Club had a chalet that accomodated 3. The family tents were basically, two tents connected with one large bed in one tent and two twins in the other tent.
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I believe Little Governor's in the Mara had a couple of triple tents. Also maybe Larsen's in the Samburu, both in Kenya
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM

I was going to tell you that we had a triple tent at Taragire River Camp, but I see you already stayed there.

Jenn
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Hello,

Which country are you planning to visit? Also, do you mean a triple for three adults, or two adults and a child? Some places will do the latter, but very few will do the former. I was going to assume 2 adults and a child but thought it might be a good idea to ask...

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:28 PM
sandi

You'rs again considering Tanzania, having mentioned Sayari -

Most camps and lodges can accommodate 2 adults and a child. The child might be in a very narrow twin or a full size twin. With a double for the adults/parents.

Some properties can accommodate three adults in 3/twin beds or 1/double & 1/twin.

For any, you have to inquire.

If for a child less than 12/years and other properties, if under 16/years sharing with 1/adult or 2/adults there maybe a discount. For 3/adults as a triple the price is also reduced somewhat.

But, if for adults, tents can be very crowded; consideration for a single tent/room with the supplement and divide this amount between the two of you... an idea.

I know Kirawira has done triples with 2/adults and 1/child (in a twin), but it can be somewhat crowded.

Sep 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Hello Calo,

If you do want to return to Tanzania, I'll be at Oliver's Camp, Nomad Tarangire, Crater Lodge, Olakira and Sayari in less than two weeks. When I visit a camp I always ask about family accommodation -- I'll report back when I return.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all...

Yes, you're right Sandi - Tanzania again. I went earlier this year with my 18 & 22 year old kids, so as you suggest it would be three adults in 3/twin beds or 1/double & 1/twin.

Julian, I'm really looking forward to your trip report. You'll be at some properties we're considering. If you can include information for us about tented triples, that'd be great. In a recent post, Eben mentioned "A new tented camp is being built very close to Tarangire River Camp (on the right just before one crosses the Tarangire River)." Any chance that you might be able to check that out for us?

Sep 30th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Hi Calo,

Right now it's not clear if I'll drive or fly from Arusha to Tarangire -- driving looks likely as right now I'm the only person scheduled for the flight and there is a minimum of two passengers for it to fly. If I drive into Tarangire I'll see if we pass by Tarangire River Camp and its new neighbour. If I fly in I'll be going straight to Nomad Tarangire's airstrip.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM
santharamhari

Calo,

I'm sure you can talk to your operator and ask them to ask the camps of your choice to just put in an additional bed (if it is for a child accomodation). Some camps may not accomodate young children, some others you may need to book a private vehicle....

Hari

Oct 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM

I was at Migration Camp, and some of them had the 3 twin bed arrangement, some had the queen/king.