Search

Where to Study Abroad in South Africa?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Study Abroad in South Africa?

Hey Guys!

I am in the process of narrowing down where I want to go and study abroad. I have a lot of top picks, therefore I really think South Africa would be great!
My problem is choosing where to live and study in SA. There is the obvious choice of the beautiful Cape Town! (the university looks breathe taking with table mountain as a back drop) The city does offer a lot, but the population is a little on the high side. I seem to love cities a little smaller and more cozy like Port Elizabeth. Port Elizabeth is my other option, known for being the "windy & friendly" city. My only issue with PE… it's not Cape Town! I would be lying if I thought PE was more beautiful than Cape Town. Safety is also important!
Cape Town is a little more expensive than the Port Elizabeth program, but I think it would be worth it if thats what I chose in the end.

So, any advice? Basically wondering… where do I want to live for 6 months? Cape Town or Port Elizabeth? Thank you and looking forward to hearing great feed back!
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 05:49 PM

I was in S Africa a couple of weeks ago and asked S Africans a similar question. None chose Port Elizabeth. I might overrule that if you surf or wildlife is a top priority. Great surfing around PE, and Addo Elephant Park is a must. But it depends on the program - where is the education better?
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 07:59 AM

I lived in beach town north of Durban for 3 years. Port E would be pretty boring. No place in SA is 100% safe but Cape Town definitely safer. Much more to do and if you wanted to drive towards George it is easy to do.
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 10:07 AM

I think Stellenbosch University would be worth looking into. It's a highly rated African school, and well located in a beautiful town in the lovely wine country only a short hop from Cape Town.
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 12:06 PM

Stellenbosch!!! For sure Stellenbosch!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM

My daughter spent a year studying at the University of Cape Town and loved it. My only concern with Stellenbosch would be that not speaking Afrikaans might put you at a distinct disadvantage at that university - some courses are only taught in Afrikaans.