Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

When are school holidays in South Africa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Peep

I'm trying to plan a trip to Capetown and the garden route for early 2004 but don't want to get caught in the crowds. Is February-March a good time to go? Heat doesn't bother us (if that's an issue). Thanks!

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the "Government schools", which are the majority of schools (a four-term calendar), go to www.gov.za/sa_overview/schools.htm

Fo an example of a "private" school (a three-term calendar), go to www.stithian.jhb.school.za and select Calendar from the menu on the left of the homepage.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Peep

Is Feb-Mar considered low season in Capetown? Any big events in 2004 that might make it difficult to find accommodations in those months?

Thanks, Arthur! It looks like most are back in school by the end of Jan?

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 05:44 AM

That's correct, all schools return in late January. And the pupils (or "learners" as they're now supposed to be called here, a ridiculous term IMO) remain there for a while. Except for the relatively brief "half term" of the private schools, but I doubt that has much of an impact.

I'm not a Capetonian, but I think that Feb/March is the perfect time for that area. No local holiday crowds, but still (largely) summer. And it's grape picking season! So no, it's not "low season". That would be the Winter, when it's often both rainy and cold. It is then that you'll get the best deals on accommmodation, and when marketing terms such as the "Secret Season" and the "Green Season" get used, to try and bolster bookings!
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 05:57 AM

Forgot to add that I'm not aware of any major event (such as the Cricket World Cup earlier this year) that would attract more than the normal number of visitors at that time. Plenty of local events and festivals at that time though.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Peep

Thanks!