What's the best safari vehicle ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wondering about safari vehicles and have seen quite a variety on safari companies websites. In another post Roccco suggested that : " I would never again allow a Land Rover 110 as my vehicle. Instead, make sure you have a Land Cruiser (much more comfortable). "

I have also read that because of the overhead sun, a pop up top that gives you some shade might be a good idea. What other vehicle amenities are important ?

We are a group of four with one of us quite tall ( 6 ft 5 in ) So what vehicle suggestions can you make ???
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:22 PM

I've only been in Land Rovers and Land Cruisers in Zambia...all open, no roof, 3 rows of seats plus the driver seat. I can't imagine being in a vehicle with a "pop up" roof or an enclosed vehicle. We had one with a canvas roof one time and it felt claustophobic not being able to view the stars.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM
santharamhari

I concur with Dennis.......those are the best vehicles around. Very common is Southern African camps/lodges.

I've had land rovers and land cruisers. I think Kwando uses something from Toyota. All very good....

Hari

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 02:33 AM

Hello,

The Toyota would probably be a Land Cruiser (it's one of their models).

Generally I prefer open vehicles as described by Dennis -- the one exception being places where it's very, very hot (e.g. Madikwe in the summer) where a canvas roof is a real help. The best of both worlds is the sort where the roof is removable.

The idea of being in a minivan with only a pop-top makes me shudder.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:27 AM
sandi

Open vehicles are often preferred on game drives, though even the open ones belonging to camps/lodges in East Africa almost all have canvas top to protect from the elements.

Also, for drive safaris in East Africa, you have to be in a closed vehicle - dirt, dust, rain, kick-back of rocks/stones - expecially when driving between locations. For some of these distances and the elements, I'd take a closed vehicle any day.

You won't be inhibitated in photo taking any more or less in a pop-top over an open vehicle. You've got all the windows from where to take photos, as well, thru the pop-top in every direction.

Some outfitters actually have larger vehicles (a stretch-type) for additional people and especially for "tall" folks (height and legroom). And when closed, also have a/c which is a godsend when it's hot outside.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Galiano is doing a Tanzanian northern circuit safari and my suggestion of Land Cruiser (Toyota) vs. Land Rover 110 applies to the closed vehicles only.

As far as open vehicles go, I find the Land Rover Defenders to be my favorite but the Land Cruisers are also nice. Soooooooo much better to be able to have an open vehicle on game drives as is the case in Southern Africa. As many wonderful photos as I captured in East Africa, I do feel my photography was very hampered by the closed vehicle.

If there were four people stuffed in a Land Rover 110, especially a guy who is 6'5", it would make for a miserable trip, especially on travel days where your luggage is also in the vehicle (or atop the vehicle and blocking your view).
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:28 AM

The OP is doing an all drive itinerary in northern Tanzania, so an open vehicle isn't an option for traveling between parks.

Some camps in East Africa do have open vehicles and if you fly in, you'll use the camp vehicles for game drives. On driving safaris, game drives are generally taken in the same vehicle used for traveling between locations. That's not to say you can't choose to use open camp vehicles for your game drives even on a driving safari as long as you realize you're paying for both vehicles (which is exactly what I'll be doing for portions of my safari in December).
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:28 AM

We will be driving from Nairobi to Nakuru and overnighting there. We plan to use our vehicle plus driver for our gamedrives. He has given us a choice of vehicle - a 9 seater Tour van with pou-up roof OR a Suzuki Vitara (4wd) - which would be best?
Thanks,
Imelda
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Imelda, there are others who have personal experience of the two vehicles you mention but I wouldn't want to do a safari in a van, and if the only choice is the Suzuki then take that but how many of you will there be?

In TZ we did all our driving in a Land Cruiser (however I am a Land Rover fan from England and own a battered Discovery and love the 110) and found it to be fine and comfortable, even on the long drive from Arusha to S.N.P.

Matt
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:12 AM

What type of roof does the Vitara have? If it's just a normal Vitara without a pop top or an open top, your viewing and photography are going to be very limited.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Matt,
There will only be myself and my husband plus the driver. Do you think we should try to push for a rover / cruiser or will the suzuki be OK?
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Sorry Patty, missed your post - the Vitara, as far as I'm aware, will be the standard type. That's why I was edging towards the van or shoule we try to get a landrover / cruiser?

Imelda
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Yes the type of roof is very important: all of the vehicles I saw in TZ had pop tops or removable roofs but not once did I see a Suzuki of any type. Patty is right, if it has neither type of modifications you will have not only limited photo ops but too an uncomfortable ride. Personally I would push for a standard sized Landcruiser with Pop up roof so to offer shade when standing. 99 percent of our safari we were stood on the bench seats faces in the breeze, even on the long drive to SNP from Ngorongoro.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Hi Matt,

One of my concerns with the pop-tops would be photography -- do you ever have problems with all of your shots being at an angle looking down on your suject? As it is, I sometimes end up sitting on the floor of the vehicles in Botswana and SA to get that leopard's eye view of things.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Hi Julian, yes of course but I think in Tanzania you are somewhat limited by choice. There were times I was opening the windows and hanging out to take a photo (obviously at the guides advice) and taking shots from the top. But I never saw a single open vehicle throughout my time and so if you only have the option of a pop top or no pop top then you must opt for the former.

You know, when you get back from Botswana on your high dollar trip come with me to TZ for a budget tour - we'll have a ball! But it'll only be in a pop top!

Matt
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Matt,

You will have to go along with Julian to Elewana's camps (Migration Camp in the Serengeti or Tarangire Treetops) or to CCA's camps, and you will be able to use the lodges open sided vehicles. Even Nomad was able to provide an open sided vehicle for a couple who had ordered it in advance, and they were cruising around Ndutu in their open vehicle and they must have been the envy of all others (including me) who were stuck in our poptops!

There is no substitute for an open sided vehicle, especially when wanting to get the most from a photographic standpoint.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Imelda,
For a one night stay at Nakuru, I personally think either will be fine. At Nakuru you can get out of the vehicle at the lake shore and lookout points. All of my flamingo pics were taken while outside of the vehicle. I wouldn't go with the Vitara if it's just a street vehicle.

Rocco,
Did these vehicles still have rigid side/roof structures or were they completely open all around? Do you have pics?
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 02:42 PM
aby

Imelda
Take the van !!
Matt was talking about TZ. in TZ everybody is driving a 4x4 (for all sorts of reasons Ngorongoro being one). In Kenya most tours use a van & u can manage nicely without 4x4 on most places.
ESPECIALLY since u r going only to NAKURU !
The pop up roof will be very important for you.
Patty is right that u can take flamingo pictures out of the car (u can get out also at Baboon view point- don't miss it! & some hippo points)
BUT in other parts of the park you shall need the open roof. while driving in Nakuru u can approach animals (e.g. waterbuck) closer than in most parks only when in a vehicle.
Rhinos (plenty), rare Rothschild's Giraffe & Leopard u cannot photograph while walking...
aby
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Patty & Aby, I have just e-mailed Kennedy to see if there is any possibility of an opensided vehicle - failing that, we will take the van.
Thanks for your help,
Imelda
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Hi Imelda-

We were in the Vitara last Wednesday, and I have seen pictures of Kennedy's van, which is identical to the pop-top van that we were in for most of our safari.

BY A LONG SHOT - take the van with the pop up roof. The Vitara is a well-maintained, comfortable vehichle, but even in Nairobi I was limited to the pictures that I could take in it. I sat in the front seat with Kennedy, so I had a great view, but it wasn't always easy to just pop my head out the window to take all the pictures I wanted! And, the windows are now tinted (there is a definite interesting story as to why, which I will get into in my report once I get down to the last day....) so it will not always be easy to see out of.

Take the van for sure, and don't worry about an open vehichle - you will be way more comfortable, and as aby points out, you will not need a 4 x 4 for Lake Nakuru. I loved the pop-top vans that we had - and I disagree, Julian, that it was difficult to photograph from - only once for a migration shot did we feel the need to get out of the van - other than that the sliding windows and the pop top were ideal for photographing all angles.

We had the open vehichles like the ones they have in SA at Kichwa Tembo in the Mara. I sat in the first seat back so my view was not as good as the others in the very top back seat.

The pop-top vans we had in TZ were 4 x 4's - they were just an extended Land Cruiser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -