What should we name our new puppy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are adopting a goldendoodle puppy next month. He/she has been born, but we have second pick of the litter and don't know yet whether we'll fall in love with a boy or girl.

We so enjoyed our honeymoon to Sabi Sabi (and other parts of SA and Namibia) that we were thinking about giving our new ferocious beast a Shangaan/safari code name. Perhaps Madoda (ranger code for Lion) if it's a boy; Mfasi (code for leopard) if it's a girl.

Our backup name is Glenn.

Any other suggestions?
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Hi - congratulations on the new addition to your family! Just to clarify the meaning of some of the words:
"Madoda" means "male", while "Ngala" means "lion", so a male lion is a "madoda ngala".
Mafasi is female. Ingwe is leopard. I named my male dog "Mofasa" (yes, I love the Lion King!) and my female is "Shangwa", named after a female leopard in the western region of the Sabi Sands.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM

I think a name that commemorates your honeymoon safari is a great idea! All the suggestions are good.
Definitely more interesting than Glenn!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Why not simply "Sabi"?? Ivee
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Glenn? Where did that come from?

Is a goldendoodle part golden retriever and part poodle? Is that the genetic combo?

I like Sabi too.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Back2Sabi, we just picked up our labradoodle on Sunday and named him Harley, which has no significance we just liked the name. I should have named him Moses and called him Moz for Mozambique. Sorry I didn't think about it. Good call with Sabi or something to remember your trip by. Have fun with your pup.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 05:10 PM

It should be easy to pronounce/call, like Sabi. How about Namby? Or Sandy? Or, if a girl, Ellie.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 05:59 PM

i have yet to take my safari, but hey, i have a dog and 4 cats, so feel totally qualified to give an opinion on this.
DEFINiTILY go with a name that means something to you, because as you walk him/her and folks pet him/her and ask his/her name, and you tell them, you can get a chance to explain WHeRE you got the name, and then you remember something that is wonderful (heck that might even be Glenn!)
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Back2Sabi,

I have to tell you that I saw a goldendoodle while accompanying a friend to a training class and I fell in love with the breed. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment so I can't have one, but I'm so happy that you can! And I vote for Sabi. I also like Ngala (sounds more like a girl, but I think Sabi could be either).

Please keep us updated on what you choose and I'd love to see a photo!

Carrie
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM

where are you adopting the puppy from?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 12:33 PM

The name Glenn came up when we were just tossing around names and one of us said "How about Glenn?" We sat ther laughing for about 5 minutes. What an absurd name for a dog.

Just imagine having someone vist your house for the first time and then imagine the greetings exchange.

"Hello, I'm Bob, this is my wife Mary and our dog is Glenn" Then picture this scruffy dog sitting proudly in the foyer awaiting a scratch on the head.

>>where are you adopting the puppy from?<<

Rocky Mountain Goldendoodles

We are definitely leaning toward something relating to our honeymoon though.

];')
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Oh... I like Sabi... We could go a step further and call him/her Selati, after our camp. And be thankful we don't have to name the dog Bush Lodge!
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:49 AM

y dont u name it as "puppyyyyyyyyyyyyy"
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

To those who wanted to know....

We named our new puppy Crumble after a dessert we had at a Namibian gas station. Can anyone guess what it was and were we had it?
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 05:30 AM

Nothing wrong with Glenn.

My cat was named Dave. Also had Colin the hamster and Gavin the gerbil in the past.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 07:41 AM

i have no guesses, but tell me, so you can relive your honeymoon. and congrats on your new family member. and is Crumble male or female?
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 10:58 AM

Glenn with two n's is fine. one n just wouldn't work... ;-)
We have a mini schnauzer named Pluto, cause she is the small planet our life revolves around. And because we were annoyed they revoked Pluto's official planet status. My hamster was Bob Umax. I went out to buy a Umax scanner and they didn't have any, so went into the pet store next door and got a hamster instead.

I like Sabi. Great options for emphasizing the second syllable when she/he gets into trouble...and it will. Have fun.

nj
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM

OK Back2Sabi, I'll play...

My guess would be the apple crumble at the Solitaire fuel station in Namibia - "worth the cost of an international flight" according to our Bradt Guide.

The crumble was tasty (and the portions huge!), although we thought the loaf of fresh bread we purchased was even better. We have enjoyed the crumble on two occasions - in 2005 and again in 2008. Both times we were traveling through Solitaire on our way from the dunes at Sossusvlei to the coast (Walvis Bay). A favourite drive - we love that trip across the Namib Desert!

Robin
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM

Similar experience Robin, I enjoyed my salami sandwich at Solitaire even more than the crumble. No better place for a snack and to read news headlines off a chalkboard while having a tyre repaired and watching the Kalahari ferraris come by.

Good choice Sabi, that will always have meaning for you.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Congratulations, Canadian Robin!

You've won a free bag of kibble for correctly identifying the dessert and the location!

I loved Solitaire, a strange little oasis after driving for hour and hours without seeing another car or person. Then we came upon Solitaire and it was jumping!

My husband and I saw the crumble going like hotcakes as the tour bus that had pulled in five minutes before us was gobbling it up and were worried we wouldn't get in on the action. Of course the moment the huge pan of crumble was finished, they pulled out another one. I wonder how many pans of it they go through a day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -