Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

What's the weather like in East Africa in August??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings! Going to Tanzania or an alternative wonderful place to see animals is high on my list, but I'm (slowly) learning that I'm a real wuss when it comes to HIGH humidity and heat. My husband will be on sabbatical next August, and I was thinking that that might be a good chance to load up the kids for an Africa adventure.

What do you think? Am I destined to never experience Africa because I'm such a weather weenie?

-Mia
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:07 PM

We were in Tanzania in October and were told that was about as hot as it got. It was very comfortable and the humidity was not a problem. Start making plans.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:13 PM

it depends on where you going;

Last year I've been to Tarangire and Serengeti etc. and that was just fine.. NgoroNgoro was really hot, but not a problem as well. But on the way home, we got stuck a few days in Dar es Salaam and there it was really hot with high humidity. That was not really comfortable..
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:39 PM
aby

hi miamatusow
IMHO Northern circuit 'safariland' has one of the (world's) best climates during August
<font color="gray">&quot;HIGH humidity and heat&quot;</font> <b> ??? </b>
Maybe when talking about the Indian Ocean's coast (Zanzibar, Lamu Mombasa etc'). Since u r talking about <font color="gray">&quot;place to see animals &quot;</font> it means LOW humidity being hundreds of kms from the ocean.
+ July-August r the coolest months
since most parks are in high-altitude areas, nigts r cool. during the day it depends on the clouds, but u rarely have a whole day with direct tropical sun. when it is cloudy it is really nice. during early morning game drive you will wear a sweater/fleece (same before sunset). during noon hotter hours u r likely to rest in the shade.

Go to 'Northern Circuit' - Serengeti, Ngorongoro (up on the rim wheremost lodges are, can be really cold) etc'.

enjoy it

aby
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM
aby

sorry nigts=nights
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:06 AM
sandi

The coastal areas are almost always hot and humid. But on the mainland, northern Tanzania it's technically winter. Daytime temps can reach into the low 70s and comfy, nights and morning will be cold, maybe downright cold.

But if traveling in August, you should consider being in Kenya in the Masai Mara for a few days. The wildebeest herds should have arrived and is something to see.

You can still visit areas in Tanzania - Tarangire, Manyara, Ngorongoro - before heading to the Mara in Kenya.

Weather in both Kenya and Tanzania will be much the same in both countries.

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:46 AM
aby

hi

i agree with Sandi's advice - Kenya esp' Mara during August

i'd like to add that because of some altitude differences, Kenya may be (slightly) cooler &amp; have less Malaria.
e.g.
Lake Manyara vs. L. Nakuru {&amp;L. Naivasha}
lake Manyara lies at an altitude of 945 meters (3150 feet) above sea level.
Lake Nakuru (altitude 1757 m 5770ft).

aby
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Even a weather weenie will love East Africa in August. Here is another vote for the Maasai Mara if you want to maximize your wildlife viewing.

This is a link to a weather chart
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT000300

It is not too early to start planning for August, which is a very popular time to travel to Kenya and Tanzania.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Went to the Mara in August, in a word, perfect. Just cool enough in the morning so not too hot in the afternoon. Just delightful.

Kevin from California.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM

I, too, am a weather weenie. We were in Tanzania (Arusha, Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti) in September and found the weather quite comfortable. There isn't a day that passes that I don't miss Africa and long to go back!! Happy travels.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:04 AM
santharamhari

Not hot at all...some days were in the mid afternoon, but dry heat.

In the Mara on my two trips, did experience late day thunderstorms a few times. A couple of cloudy days as well.......

Hari

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Ha! You're just the opposite from me. We will be in Kenya next July/August and I keep getting concerned that I'll be too COLD! I'm from Florida--anyone know how Kenya winters compare to Florida winters? Average temps and what to pack?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:45 PM

this is for maria2-
yes! you will be cold if you are from fla. when i was in nairobi in june people were wearing parkas! it was in the 60's in town and almost to the seventies in the mara, but with the open vehicle we were all very glad to have jackets.
the coast was a tad warmer but breezy and rainy and i would not plan anything at the beach during that time.

kerikeri