Search

Weather in South Africa????

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Almosthere

Weather in South Africa????

Been watching the weather channel and it looks unusually cold in SA; Could any fodorites living there can give us an idea of the conditions as we are leaving in a few days! Would the cold weather affect any game drives, etc? Having expected chilly mornings but warm days I am now a bit anxious about the trip...could someone put me at ease???thanks! Samantha

Old May 24th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks really cold...on the bright side, you can stay out on game drive for a bit longer.

Pack your winter clothes?
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:32 AM

And some of the early morning activity by the animals gets delayed a little so you may be privy to that.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Almosthere

Hari and Atravelynn: you both are so gracious about answering all the questions put forth by us novice Africa travelers...don't think we don't appreciate it. Anyway, on to my big questions...so I am packing for winter - though I do live in the south! I have fleece jacket, down vest, hat of course, gloves, scarf, long johns, etc. Guess that will be fine though it does take up a lot of space in my one duffle bag! I chose this time of year for the nicer daytime temps as we like to escape l00 degree temps too! I was just expecting not so terribly cold weather-- but hear this week is unusual. So,in a week could it get a bit warmer, say 40-50'(F)when we leave for morning ride? Or am I kidding myself - and your weather people are just as off as ours?? Thanks for reducing my extremely high anxiety levels! Samantha

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Just like at home, if one week is unseasonable, it doesn't mean the next week will be too. Who knows?

Most camps have warm ponchos or blankets to help with the cold on drives. They don't want miserable guests or cases of frostbite.

Definitely bring plenty of warm layers. That's what I am going to do.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Almosthere

Atravelynn: You are right- and my layers are packed! Where are you going to be? Stay warm and have one heck of a trip; look forward to your report upon your return. Sam

Old May 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM

I can't claim to be "almost there." I am almost a month away. I did notice some SA news reports strictly regarding the weather, though. They were addressing the difficulty of the homeless when the weather turns so cold.
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM

We are leaving june 9th to SA Kruger and Sabi Sands.
I am also expecting warm days and cool morning/evening game drives. We will have to pack warm and light clothes but I am not concerned because I count on dry and hopefully sunny days. I hate rains !!
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM

have just checked the right side of the home page of www.krugerpark.co.za

It seems the forecast for the next 6 days is not that bad !! min 7-9C max 24-29C and always sunny.
BTW sometimes min can also drop to only 1C and I remember from the last week that the forecast when cloudy was with a max of around 14-16C !
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Almosthere

Thanks atravelynn & Fabio: I just needed someone to tell me "everything will be okay" - its the pre-travel JITTERS...so Fabio where are you going to be??? We are in Sabi Sands June 8-14- Ngala Tented and Ex. Leadwood - prior in Vic Falls and Bots. Cannot wait! Our first time; but understand its not our last. Next time, the forum will just plan it for me; seems a lot more adventuresome!
Wahoo Wah! Sam

Old May 24th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Dont forget the windchill factor and you are in an uncovered jeep.

Don't overpack as the camps do laundry on a daily basis.

Talking about unseasonal, i think i remember reading from last year's reports that they had light snow in Joburg. A week later the cold front moved thru Phinda when i was there and it was VERY cold, yet....we did all the drives and stuff. Didn't enjoy the outdoor dinner after being in the frigid temps all evening.

Hari
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Hi Hari, been cold here.
About 0 in the morning but the heating up to about 26/29.
Water should be in Maun by Sunday.
Half way between the Borro fence and Maun at the moment.
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM

Hi Bots,

Thanks for this......0 hey? My goodness!!! i'm sure 26/27 will keep drying up those pans inside the mopane forests......
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Almosthere

HariS; Thanks for the heads up on chill. I think (HOPE) I am covered; as a southerner I freeze very quickly but between my fleeces, partner and the thrill of the game drives I will be quite warm!
I learned quite early from this forum not to overpack! My one duffle is at 20lbs and I am quite pleased with that one. Thx again. Sam

Old May 25th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Have a great trip, Samantha!!!
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Hi Sam !Almosthere

we also can't wait to leave.... first time in Sabi Sands and Kruger.
Our schedule is
10-11 Blyde River on the way JNB-Kruger
11-13 Kruger Satara Camp
13-15 Sabi Sands Mala Mala main camp
15-17 Sabi Sands Inyati
17-18 Kruger Lower Sabie camp
18-19 back to JNB and fly home

as we are only 2 ( me and my son )driving by ourselves from JNB airport and back and I can also overpack a bit.
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Almosthere

Thx HariS
Fabio- Have a fabulous time! I'm sure we'll all be warm and happy and giddy with excitement when we see our first animal in the wild! Leaving on 31st! Sam

Old May 26th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Hi Samantha

Hope you have a fabulous trip!

I go fairly regularly to the Sabi Sands, and I can say, that in early morning, until the sun is fairly warm and afternoon when the sun goes down, it will be freezing! When the vehicle is still, then not so bad, but when moving it is well beyond cold. I have been known to wear a balaclava, to keep my face skin warmer! Not a good look I know, but I hate being cold! When you are warm enough, the game drives are great, but if you are cold then it follows that they are miserable, as you can only think of the cold. The days are sometimes warm as in jeans/ t-shirt but can also require a light cotton jumper. But as I often go in Dec and Jan as well, sometimes I can have a light cotton pullover on these days as well. Was there in March/April and by the beginning of April, to me, winter was on its way! Have a few layers, and a few thick fleecy jumpers, gloves, beanie, scarf and use the blanket, if provided, for your legs.

Johannesburg is usually colder than the Sabi Sands, but if Johannesburg has a cold snap, then so does the Sabi Sands.

I think you may be kidding yourself, thinking that the mornings will be warm. No doubt they will warm up, but that can take an hour or two. I myself do not wear long johns, as they cannot be removed in an elegant manner as the day warms up, but I do make use of the vehicle blankets, so do make sure they are provided.

The game does move around more in the cooler weather - though they also like to sun themselves a bit before moving about, unless it is really cold and windy, then everything disappears, but then happens all throughout the year - I would dearly love to know where everything goes, as they must all be somewhere!

Have a fabulous holiday and be prepared for the cold, then it will not take anything away from your gameviewing!

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Almosthere

Hello Kaye, thank you...more indepth and I appreciate that - being that I have NEVER been to Africa and while reading temp. charts can give one an idea - I am not so naive as to think they really are correct! So having you give me your account of a morning drive certainly helps. We have traveled in a few colder climes; but of course everyone expects Africa to be warm! Not kidding myself, so I hopefully have prepared accordingly ..my long johns are for sleeping now! You are correct - I don't think I could (gracefully) remove them as the sun was warming me up! ha ha..I never thought about that. I am not getting out of that jeep unless my guide or tracker tells me to! Luckily, I have my big warm fellow along and I am sure he will provide plenty of comfort (and laughs and good photo shooting!) - and by the way, I did pack a ski mask too! Ha ha; my friends think we are nuts, but they will be the envious ones when we return with tales of the bush! Thanks again to all for the help. Sam
By the way, I almost wrote a poem about my long johns in the bush, but unfortunately I need to go out and get my last minute lists accomplished..therefore -my "prosa"...
Got a good laugh out of the attempts this am. I rather enjoy eveyone's take on everything from ryhmes to poetry to what to wear on a morning drive!

Old May 26th, 2007, 08:36 AM

I am at Mala Mala currently in South Africa and believe me it is COLD on the game drives. Suggest you bring heavy coat, gloves, scarf and hat. Even the animals are cold.

-Granny Joan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -