Walking-- immersed in the bush

Sep 8th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Walking-- immersed in the bush

I spend a lot of time processing photographs, old and new, that I've taken on safari. This is an old one, not a particularly good one, taken in Chizarira NP, Zimbabwe, eight years ago. To me, safaris are not necessarily all about wild animals; they are about the essence of the many different African landscapes. In this image, one of my walking safari companions is immersing herself in the atmosphere of the thick bush which surrounded one of our camps. It was rugged country (you couldn't track by vehicle), criss-crossed by elephant trails and punctuated at night by such sounds as the saw-ing of leopard. I will never forget it, even though my best wildlife-viewing experiences have been elsewhere.

http://www.afrigalah.com/zimimg/Chizbush.jpg
Sep 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
santharamhari

John,

I agree, that safari is not just the animals. It's everything....the landscape, the sounds, the crisp morning, but, to me one of the most important things is.... people.

It's a combination of everything....

Hari

Sep 9th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

I might as well share this too. I'm going through old negatives which have never been scanned. This is from the same walking safari in 1998. We were tracking lion in Hwange NP and came upon their kill of the previous day. The guide on the left, deciding what our next move will be, is Leon Varley...as tough as nails, he walks in sandals.

http://www.afrigalah.com/zimimg/Lionkill2.jpg
Sep 11th, 2006, 04:46 AM

I have been to several safari camps and by far, the best one is still Klein's Camp in Tanzania. Not because of the wildlife but the staff. They invited me to their staff canteen and have dinner with them, it made me feel I am a friend than a guest.

While I am on game drives, I truly enjoy being in the bush, watching animals pass by occasionally or listening to the songs of birds.
Sep 11th, 2006, 05:16 AM

Hi John,

Nice photos and the name Leon Varley is familiar, does he still do similar work?

Going to any African country, to me, is all about the animals. It is the only reason why I return. When I return to my regular camps,I certainly like seeing a lot of the people who work at the camp each visit. But I would not be going unless I had the opportunity to see fantastic wildlife!

Kind regards,

Kaye
Sep 11th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kaye,

Yes, Leon is still based in Vic Falls and still walking with clients in Chizarira, Hwange and elsewhere.

http://www.walkafrica.com/meettheguides.htm

cheers,
John

Search this Thread