Visit to South Africa Easter 2004

May 11th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Visit to South Africa Easter 2004

Yes I know it's a long way of but I like to plan. We will travel to Cape Town spend 5 to 6 nights in C.T. Winelands, etc, but I would like to move on to explore another area possibly Durban,(inc Drakesburg, Kwazulu Natal). On this trip I would like to visit a Game Reserve in either the Cape or Durban areas. Could anybody can recommend a suitable place for 2/3 nights, we are travelling independently so have flexibility. Also any places of interest people have visited in these areas particularity in relation to local cultures.

Rod
May 12th, 2003, 05:10 PM

There are no really decent game reserves in the Western Cape. In KZN, Phinda is wonderful: so is Mzuze Falls, both on the web. Both are pricey!
May 14th, 2003, 06:38 AM

I am always SO PLEASED when I see someone wants to visit my home town: Durban. I recently heard it described as a cocktail of one part colonial outpost, two parts Bombay, two parts Zulu Kingdom; shake together vigorously , pour into a glass without straining so that you get all the really interesting bits and add a dash of surf culture! Pretty accurate in my opinion. For the BEST Butter Chicken and naan I have ever encountered go to Jaipur Palace. Truly authentic vegan food that is so tasty and prepared according to strict ayurvedic rules is at the Krishna temple in Chatsworth. It's not at all stylish but is the real deal. It's best to get a local to take you, you can even go into the temple and see the deities if they are open. It was quite a treat for me when I visited it for the first time last year. Anywhere in the Musgrave area for brunch and gifts is great, and Umhlanga is the best beach. The Midlands meander is a trail through various artists' studios in the Midlands area, and don't forget to stop in at the micro-breweries. I just remembered having seen a notice about a micro-breweries tour in the Durban and surrounding areas being started up!
Be sure to visit the Natal Sharks Board - you'll think twice about going back into the water.
There's a place called Isandlwana Lodge in northern Natal which overlooks an Anglo Zulu battle site (the Brits lost this particular battle). There is a local expert who gives lots of excellent info on both the Anglo Zulu and Anglo Boer war battlefields in the area. As Kim mentioned, Phinda and Mkuze are good but there is also:
Amakhosi (www.amakhosi.com)
Pakamisa (www.pakamisa.co.za)
White Elephant (www.whiteelephant.co.za)
Falaza (www.falaza.co.za)
Makakatana Bay - inside the proclaimed St Lucia wetlands (www.makakatana.co.za)
There are so many things to consider about what type of holiday you want, and options to choose from that I think you are doing the right thing starting to plan so early.
May 14th, 2003, 07:09 AM
itleyen

Look at a map of the Natal area. From Durban (a short flight from CT), it's an easy 3-hour drive north on N2 to Phinda Game Reserve, the very best location for seeing the Big Five on the SA east coast. Super lodging and rangers, plus two 4-5 hour game drives daily. The best alternative is Kruger to the northeast.

Makakatana/St. Lucia is very nice, but with very limited game viewing opportunties. Same situation with parks south of Phinda.

You will want to devote one day to the Cape RT drive, and possbly a day to Hermanus to see the S. Right Whales close up.

May 18th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the reply's they have been very helpful. I think we are doing the right thing concentrating on just 2 areas in S.A. rather than just see the country from a car or plane.
May 18th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Itleyen,

If you ever see a southern right whale in Hermanus over Easter I reckon that you have just as much of chance of seeing Santa Claus riding the whale at the same time. )

For the information of all the Southern Rights arrive in Hermanus in late July and stay through till about mid October.

Just my two whales worth. )

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]

Search this Thread