Veterinary Fence question for Botswana

Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Veterinary Fence question for Botswana

Can someone please clarify what you can take past the veterinary control/buffalo fences in Botswana - Wilddogs - you say you took ostrich, sausages and pork chops through the fence on your trip north to Moremi but, when you were going south from Chobe to Nata, you couldn't take any fresh meat or dairy products across the fence. Why the difference? Is it only when going south into the cattle area that these restrictions apply? Also, is the long-life UHT milk included the ban against dairy products? Thanks!
Sep 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Hello there

I think it is something to do with the cattle, luanguablondes explained it better than I can. We did take ostrich, sausages and pork chops through the fence on your trip north to Moremi but at the vet fence before entering Nata we couldn't take any fresh meat or dairy products across the fence. Its to do with foot and mouth I think and Tse Fly, basically protecting their cattle which are behind the fences. By going north into Moremi you are leaving the area where the cattle are but by going south you are re-crossing the fence and going back to where the cattle are protected again. I'm not sure about long-life UHT milk - the best policy is probably to ask at the fence or use it all up and buy again in Nata or Gweta. If you get the Veronica Roodt Maps you can see the fence drawn across it and the cross-points which are shown like little envelopes.
Best wishes
Kathy
Sep 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathy! I was a little confused because I had read in Bradt that you couldn't take dairy products and beef through the veterinary gates and yet you mentioned in your report that you had taken all sorts of meat through. I finally concluded that you can take meat north when you are leaving the cattle area but not south when heading into the cattle area - but thank you for confirming it for us. It will work well for us because we travel in a northerly direction only - starting in Maun and flying out of Francistown to Joburg. Robin