Vaccinations?

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaccinations?

We are travelling from Canada to Morocco in January? Do we need vaccinations, and if so which ones?
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM

Here is a link to the CDC site:
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/nafrica.htm
which tells what they recommend.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:45 AM

This is not as straightforward a question as it appears. Many people find the CDC guidelines to be overly cautious...just as many guidebooks for Morocco say that you should not attempt to go into Fes medina without a guide - all of us who live here know that is complete nonsense.

A lot depends on how you feel about vaccinations in general. Thousands of people visit Morocco every year without getting vaccinations- and no harm comes to them. I live here and have not been vaccinated for Hepatitis or anything else. If you are a worrier and pro-vaccine, then follow the CDC, but if you're not, then you're fine to come without them.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:28 AM

Penny...my husband and I are traveling to Egypt in a week, and we did get vaccinated for Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid and polio. We weighed the detriments (most shots are NOT covered by your health insurance) against the benefits and decided it was better to be safe than sorry.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:42 AM
sandi

I agree that the CDC website can be overcautious, but if you travel anywhere in the world, or stay at home it's a good idea to be current with your inoculations. Most of us had our shots as children and most have outlived their effectiveness.

So, generally, it's a good idea to be current with Hep A which you can get right in your own backyard; same with Tetanus. Both of which, once you have are good for 10-years. As to Polio, which technically has been eradicated, there are still outbreaks... with this booster it will last the rest of your life.

Whatever your decision, get the information and discuss with your physician in consideration of your personal medical history.

Old Oct 8th, 2006, 03:34 PM

My doctor recommended that I call the local health department and they suggested inoculations for Hep A and Typhoid. My tetanus is up to date. I got the vaccinations. No pain or side effects and I'm good for several years now. I'd rather be safe than sorry.