Upcoming Budget Camping Trip

Jun 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Upcoming Budget Camping Trip

Hi,

I booked a week-long camping trip with Intrepid Travel in March with my sister (we're both in our early 30s) without doing any research, which is very unusual for me. It's now leaving in 12 days!

The only "camping" I've ever done is 2 nights in a permanant tented camp in Costa Rica with a bed so this will be an experience.

Before I left, I wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading the posts for the last few months. I love how much excitement everyone has for Africa and I got invaluable advice on a first night hotel in Nairobi, packing, hot air ballooning and more. Now that I've read so many great trip reports, I'll have to start saving for my next trip (longer! less driving! permanant camps!)

My itinerary is:

Day 1
Use frequent flier miles to fly New York/London/Nairobi
1 night at House of Waine

Day 2
Free day in Nairobi, where we plan to visit:
Sheldrick Wildlife Trust to see foster elephant
Nyumbani Orphanage

Days 3 - 9
Intrepid Travel Tour with lots of driving, including:
Lake Victoria
Serengeti
Olduvai Gorge
Ngorongoro Crater

Ending up in Nairobi

This is my first trip to Africa (my sister has been to South Africa before), hopefully the first of many.
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM

Good for you. Sounds great. House of Waine is a very nice lux start for your adventure. I love this place!

For the safari itself (Days 3-9), what are the details. Where staying, how many days, any flights, etc.? "Real camping" or permanent or seasonal camps?
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:17 AM

enjoy it. even if you find it shitty having to pee/poop in a drop toilet with flies buzzing around you. even if you get terrified of the hyenas outside your tent at night. take it all in and even if you dont like the camping, enjoy where you are and what an experience it is. im not sure if you read my trip report about my camping trip (also with my sister), but i had a very negative reaction to it. however, my trip to kenya/rwanda was the most amazing thing i have ever done and i wish i would have had a better attitude about it at the time. Im sure you will have an amazing time!!!
Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM

Safari njema! I wish I could say "I'm leaving for Kenya and Tanzania in 12 days."

Please come back to this board and let us know how you liked your adventure.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM

hi ao23
have a great east african experience and i also would love to read your trip report! i am pretty curious....

happy landings!

cheers!

your first gin and tonic for sundownder will be remembered by you for the rest of your life i suppose!
Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your good wishes!

Sandi, it's real camping in a tent at campsites. There is no flying. I will post a trip report with full details.

Jen, how did I miss your trip report? I felt like I read dozens. I'll definitely check it out.