Search

Uganda Tour Operators

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uganda Tour Operators

My husband, 2 adult children and I are planning on travelling to Uganda and Rwanda in August of this year. We have received two itineraries from Volcanoes Safaris and African Horizons. While I have seen several references to Volcanoes tours, is there anyone who has travelled with African Safaris? Both companies quoted a similar agenda and lodging accomodations but African Horizons itinerary was more detailed.
Also, we are booked to stay at the Virunga Lodge for 2 or 3 nights while in Bwindi. I read a few negative reviews on this post regarding the premier price for the lodge and real lack of amenities. Any other comments....should we look at staying elsewhere? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Volcanoes prices always look very expensive to me for what you get.

African Horizons are not based in Uganda as far as I know.

Instead, also try Great Lakes Safaris and Wild Frontiers. I know both outfits and have never read negative reports.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM

And Amahoro Tours in Rwanda!
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM

We had a wonderful trip to Uganda and Rwanda with East African Nature Safaris last October, booked through African Connection in the U.S.:
http://www.ac-safaris.com/uganda.php

This was a group trip organized by our local zoo, relatively "budget," but with some nice lodges mixed in, and all by road (no flights). We visited Kampala, Budongo Forest, Murchison Falls, Kibale and Queen Elizabeth NP in Uganda, went gorilla trekking in Volcanoes NP in Rwanda, and finished up in Kigali. Sorry I haven't posted a trip report -- I'll do that as soon as I have time.

Our lead guide was Waziri Elias, and our other guides were Jhonie Kasta, Kule Nason, and (driver) Ali Tumusiime. All wonderful guys and terrific safari guides, who handled the various glitches along the way remarkably well -- got us out of the mud when stuck, over the border in difficult circumstances (because of the Congo situation), and dealt with a number of "this is Africa" moments with grace and good humor. I highly recommend them all, and would definitely travel with them again.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 09:45 AM

I accidentally left off Wazir's last name -- it should read Waziri Elias Warm. He's part-owner of East African Nature Safaris.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Staying at Kinigi Guesthouse really brought down the cost of my Rwanda itinerary with Volcanoes.

I've heard good things about Great Lakes and I used Primate Safari in Rwanda last time and would use Primate again. The Volcanoes trip worked out best this time.

I stayed at Gorilla Nest last time and really liked it. Less fancy than Virunga Lodge, but just fine. But Gorilla Nest just had a price increase and that's why I'm at Kinigi Guesthouse.

Where will you stay in Uganda?

When will you be in Rwanda? Maybe I'll see you. I'll be there Aug 3-15.