Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Two days until departure. Why aren't my packables really re-packable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...I'm leaving in two days and from trying to pack all afternoon, I'm wondering if anyone else has trouble re-packing the packable clothes. The jackets, the pants, etc. all say packable but I can't figure it out.

I'm better at refolding maps than repacking a jacket into it's d**m pocket or folding the pants to where they're teeny-eeny taking up very little space like they're supposed to.

I know it's a great problem to have because it means I'm heading back to Africa but can any of you guys repack the packables?

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:32 PM
sandi

Heck no!

You had me howling here reading your major conflict. We should all have those problems.

These darm packables, never seems to be able to be refolded to the tiny, itty-bitty size, as the original. Good luck.

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM
cw

I am laughing out loud! Can't ever re-pack those things. I got a small daypack type backpack before going to SA, and I could not fold it into its pocket, no matter how I tried.

Don't worry about it . . . and have a wonderful time!

CW
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:27 PM

My most befuddled befuddlement packable(aren't I great at descriptive words?) had to be a 'circular laundry hamper' that I picked up for going to Hawaii beach house vacations, as well as long cruises and RV vactions with my parents. It started out as a perfect flat circle and very easily became a square mesh hamper when 'sprung' open. On the first vacation that I took it on, in the RV with my mom, her and I must have sat on the edge of the bed trying every which way to get it back to a flat circle for the better part of two hours. Jim (smart alec) came along and did it in two seconds flat, so he's in charge of the 'packables' now....
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM

roll 'em up divewop, and have a GREAT trip! Travel safe!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:06 AM

I'm with Dennis, roll them up and just get them in and have a WONDERFUL time!

Imelda
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Like you I am repacking challenged. I too am with Dennis, roll 'em up. Either that or wear 'em all.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:31 AM

'Wear 'em all' ... I have visions of the Michellin man !! ... But when you think of it , going on my recent luggage escapade, it's not such a bad idea

Imelda
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Well, the packables are rolled, folded or thrown in, along with almost everything else.
(Incidentals & rest of toiletries will be packed in the a.m.)

I've got two large checked bags, one is my rolling duffel and one is a large rolling suitcase packed with goodies for the Fossey Fund scientists, and their dogs (affectionately known as my step-dogs), and my friends at Campi Ya Kanzi.
I know I'll get hit with extra-weight baggage fees but I always do when bringing over the goodies.
Then I'll donate the empty second bag to the folks at the Fund or to CYK. Wherever the last drop-off takes place.

Carry-on's are my rolling photo gear bag (which weighs a ton), and a backpack.

It's hell traveling solo when you also second as the 'goodie' delivery person but I know it's much appreciated so it's worth the trouble.

Sundowner is bringing over the bulk of the school supplies when she comes as I couldn't fit them in my cases. And on top of that, she'll be doing the trip report! ;-)
(Little did she know what she was in for when traveling with me!) 8-)
Thank you Sundowner!

Now it's just a matter of counting down the hours. This time tomorrow I'll be en route to Rwanda via AMS and NBO, overnighting in NBO allowing me time to visit the Sheldrick orphanage (Yay!) and then on to the beloved gorillas and my hard-working scientist and research buddies.

I hope to have time to check in and say my official good-bye in the a.m.

If not, keep an eye out for reports from the field or Sundowner's trip report! ;-) >-

Sandy
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Have a great trip Sandy! I look forward to your report.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Have a wonderful trip! I am SOOOOOOO jealous!
With everyone telling you to "roll em" I keep thinking of the old TV show Rawhide(I am really dating myself now)...the theme song was "roll em, roll em, roll em Rawhide!"
And after a bazillion hours on an airplane maybe that is how your bottom will feel anyway!
Looking forward to the trip report!
Lily
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Have a marvelous time!