Troubles with Kenya Airways

Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troubles with Kenya Airways

Found this today. We have some travels in a few weeks. I am not sure how this impacts other carriers and international flights.

December 19, 2008

Leading African airline Kenya Airways warned on Friday its operations could be disrupted in the coming days if a fuel shortage in the country does not abate.

The carrier operates about 75 daily flights from Nairobi's main airport to 43 destinations.

East Africa's largest economy has a fuel shortage, which the state-owned Kenya Pipeline Corporation blamed on power outages at its pumping stations, according to local media.

"If the situation does not improve within the next one to two days, our operations will be severely affected," Kenya Airways chief executive Titus Naikuni said in a statement.

"I would like to assure our passengers that we are doing all we can to maintain our schedule integrity, especially during the festive season," Naikuni said.

The airline posted a 63 percent drop in pretax profits to KES1.05 billion shillings (USD$13.8 million) in the first half.

It blamed the weaker returns on high fuel prices, a strong local currency and a political crisis earlier in the year that discouraged visitors to the country.

(Reuters)
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM

have they offered to reimburse?

i would try to get another airline ticket. even if it's more expensive!

i repeat myyelf despite it won't help here:
book with airlines of which you can pretty certain that they don't be grounded for reasons as mentioned above.

i book air botswana and south african because there is no much choice. but long-haul europe-african countries i ALWAYS book with airlines which are not owned by an african government. also for safety reasons.

div
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

We have rebooked with BA and working the refund process. If there is an in-country fuel shortage then I wonder what that means for even BA as they need to refuel for outbound flights.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM

not knowing much about BA's routings but i would assume they also fly to neighboring countries so they might refuel there. i am sure BA is aware and has sorted that out.

over and above that kenya cannot afford to not receive foreign carriers.

i would not worry about that issue. they get it going.

div
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 04:46 AM

This might be jumping to rash conclusions and generalizing way too much, but...

There was just a problem with a Tanzanian airline shutting down. I'm wondering if the reduced tourism due to the economy is putting such a strain on any carriers operating on a thin margin, that they are folding. I hope tough times don't wipe out some airlines or other segments.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Air Tanzania was shut down by its own Government for failing to maintain air worthiness standards. That being said, yes, these airlines like many are under increased stress due to fall offs in tourism.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 07:24 AM

lynn
there were problems with air namibia a couple of years ago, air zambia, one more i can't remember its name and now air TAZ.

i think holiday is too precious to gamble with airlines....

and i heavily doubt that air taz already feels the impact of the slow down in tourism.
mostly these problems are home made and based on incompetent management.

e.g. air botswana. it has a monopoly on the jnb-maun-route. that airline should be doing excellently. but one always experiences delays, cuts etc.
not to mention their website which is still not offering online booking.

african airlines are really special....

div