Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

SAFARI PLANNING ROUND IV - FINALLY! Tanzania June/July 2006 Final Itinerary (I hope)

Search

SAFARI PLANNING ROUND IV - FINALLY! Tanzania June/July 2006 Final Itinerary (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here it is everyone - let me know what you think!

We are flying to Nairobi via London using FF miles (business class) and home via Zurich. Believe it or not a year in advance I could not get a flight home via London and even then couldn't get the day I wanted.

Dates are June 20 - July 7, 2005

DAY 1 - arrive Nairobi PM overnight at Holiday Inn
DAY 2 - Transfer (drive) to Sinya Reserve in Tanzania. Overnight at Kambi Ya Tembo
Day 3 - moring walking safari with Maasai guide. Afternoon game drive
Day 4 - Game drive through Arusha, Picnic lunch , afternoon walking with guided Ranger through waterfall trail. Overnight in Arusha at Kigongoni Coffee Lodge.
Day 5-7 - transfer to Tarangire - 3 nights at Olivers Camp. One night fly camping.
Day 8-9 - Transfer to Ngorongo Crater 2 nights at Ngorngoro Serena.
Day 10-13 Transfer to Serengeti - 4 nights at Sayari Camp.
Day 14 - Fly to Zanzibar overnight in Stone Town at Emerson & Green.
Day 15 -17 3 nights Ras Nungawi
Day 17 Zanzibar - Nairobi and back to LAX

YIKES! I get breathless just reading it

I still have a few details to work out. Should we fly from Ngorongoro to Serengeti or drive (I have to see what the price difference is). Also, I have to book our own flight from Zanzibar to Nairobi. Has anyone dealt directly with either Air Kenya or Precision Air? What is the best way to make these arrangements? Apparently it is not included in my total package because my operator does not book international flights and thought I could probably get a better price from here.

The planning process in itself has been such a journey and an incredible education! What a birthday party/anniversary present I am giving myself!

Thank you all - now I will have nothing to do for the next few months except stick my nose in everyone else's itineraries.

Carol
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Cool--you got Kambi Ya Tembo in there, too, I see. Color me jealous.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 04:59 PM
bat

Sounds fabulous. Can't wait to hear about Sayari which looks wonderful. You might consider that you can go canoeing at Arusha NP--but you may prefer the hike.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:53 PM

I'm not sure where you will be staying within the Serengeti, but we drove, and it was fantastic, since you're on a game drive for much of the trip btwn the Crater and the Serengeti. Its not a bad drive and if you're interested in archeology, you can stop at Olduvai Gorge on the way.

Great itinerary!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Your itinerary sounds wonderful! I too am green with envy

I don't think Air Kenya flies between Nairobi and Zanzibar but Kenya Airways may. I haven't tried to book intra-Africa flights myself, but I think someone else mentioned being able to book Kenya Airways internal flights by selecting Kenya as their country on the KQ website and picking up their tickets at the NBO airport counter. You may also be able to just purchase your tickets through Expedia, etc. Are you sure your tour operator can't book Zanzibar-Nairobi specifically or did they mean your international tickets from LAX?

Can you fly from Ngorongoro to the Serengeti? Would this be a charter?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:18 PM
bat

You have 2 nights at the crater so I am guessing you would get 2 drives in before the last morning--that morning you would head out to Sayari--enter the Serengeti and game drive your way--you could stop at the Serena or elsewhere for lunch to break up the drive. I think that Sandi has suggested such before.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM
bat

btw, I think--and someone can correct me if I am wrong--but the closest airport to the crater is the Manyara airport--which is kind of back-tracking. I think that the drive may be somewhat long but game driving most of the way.
climbhighsleeplow knows where Sayari is--he can tell you.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM

csuss,
Can your tour op recommend an in-country travel agent they normally work with? They could book you on a flight from Zan to NBO. When we did this we flew Precision Air.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Leely - I will ask about a local travel agent, I think that is what the operator had in mind.

Bat - the closest airport to Ngorongoro is Lake Maynara which is why I didn't want to fly either. Sounds like drving is the best way. I just need to confirm how far north Sayari is.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Just checked Expedia - an they show flights on Kenya Air for about $200. So Thank you all for pointing out the obvious to me! Who knew it would be so easy.

carol
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:28 PM

In June Sayari is near the Mara River in the far North West Serengeti.

Klein's airstrip is closest.

Eben
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Eben.

My operator thinks that even with the back tracking, Sayari is far enough north and out of the way to warrant the flight.

What did you think of the rest of the itinerary?