Travelling with 6 mos old

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 04:45 PM
Colleen

Travelling with 6 mos old

My husband and I and our 6 month old baby will be travelling to Cairo during the summer. Any suggestions on travelling with a baby? He has been on a plane four times and has had no problems...just wondering if anyone has travelled overseas with an infant.
Thanks

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 07:12 AM
AJ

Colleen, go over to the Europe forum. The issue of traveling with children has drawn a spirited debate! I, for one, endorse traveling with children.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 10:58 AM
Dave

Colleen,

Never been to Cairo, but took our three month old (she is now 10) to Argentina. My wife was breastfeeding so it was easy. If you are, there is a plus and minus. Plus is your system purifies most everything getting to the baby. Minus is if you get sick (especially from food and water) you are typically dehydrated, which wreaks havoc on breast feeding. If you are using formula, you may want to pick up one of these immersion water warmers to get rid of the bacteria (make sure it boils). Check with the center for disease control in Atlanta about specific questions and suggestions for the water. I believe they have a web site. If you can buy one of these soft portable infant beds (they unzip) it will really help. Our daughter slept on the floor of the plane, in hotel rooms, even we were forced to used it as her car seat (in Chile they didn't have car seats as they promised! A good idea to bring your own if you are traveling in cars). Just expect the unexpected and enjoy. Our three kids were seasoned early and are going to Turkey, Israel, and Greece with us for three weeks this summer and are up for the occasion.

Good luck,
Dave

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 04:41 PM
Al

We recommend that you obtain the name, address, and telephone number of (1) a board-certified pediatrician and (2) a properly-equipped hospital in Cairo before you take your infant there. Trying to get this information there when an emergency arises may be difficult, tardy, or impossible. We faced this situation once in South America and the results were a near tragedy.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 07:37 AM
AJ

Colleen, we travel extensively with our kids. I just bought a book that you might find interesting: One Year Off, by Cohen. It's about a family with three children, the youngest 2 years old, who travel the world for a year.

Email if you have any specific questions.