Travel warnings

Mar 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Travel warnings

Not that it means anything to us who love Kenya, but the Daily Nation on 3-14-04 writes that the U.S. has extended its travel warning for another six months. Other countries included in the travel warning include Comoros, Dijibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Mauritius, Reunion, Seycehelles, Somalia, Sudan and Tanzania.

Many of us have already traveled to Kenya since September when the warnings were initially enacted in September so the extension won't concern us.

People considering their first trip should not be panicked by it. As with any place you travel today, you just have to be aware of your surroundings.

Jan
Mar 15th, 2004, 03:32 PM
vwr

Hello Jan,
As a first timer traveling to Kenya/Tanzania this June, I admit to sometimes being concerned about the travel warnings. Yet, reflecting back to some of the most exciting times in my life, many have been ones that I was really afraid to do. What we would have missed if we had surrendered to our fear!
Kathy
Mar 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Kathy:

So very well said!! As we all know, there isn't a place on earth where anyone could be 100% safe from terrorism.

Kenya is such a beautiful country and they are doing their utmost to make it even safer.

You should go on your trip without a second thought. We Fodorites know you will be hooked once you have been there. Almost all of us went thinking it would be a "once in a lifetime" trip, but once there Kenya becomes an obsession and you just have to go back.

Please don't forget to write a trip return when you return and let us know about it.

Jan

Mar 15th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Kathy: Go on your trip and have a glorious time. We were in Kenya and Tanzania in 2002, while the United States was trying to convince the United Nations to support a resolution on Iraq. We left with a feeling of uncertainty - what if war broke out while we were there? What was the sentiment toward Americans? - but had a glorious time. We were welcomed by the Kenyan and Tanzanian people. Besides, as the esteemed Richard Leakey noted shortly before our departure, "People don't realize they are probably safer out in the bush than anywhere else." Have a wonderful journey to a magical destination.
Mar 15th, 2004, 06:06 PM
vwr

Jan and Susan:
Thank you both! Without ever having gone, Kenya has been my obsession for years. Yeeks, what will it be when we get back?

Last year, we spent five days in the Amazon. As we canoed the waters viewing the wildlife, there was this country song that kept echoing in my mind - Martina McBride's "Blessed." The lyrics speak of the world being a beautiful place and how one is blessed. Those of us fortunate to be able to travel are blessed.
Kathy

Search this Thread