Travel to Egypt during Ramadan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this be a bad time to travel to Egypt? Will all of the sites be open?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:26 PM

I'm not sure what sites you're talking about exactly, but stores, restaurants, etc., remain open during Ramadan, they just close early for Iftar (when they break their day-long fast.) Some places even open again after the meal. I'm pretty sure tourist spots would be open until just before the Iftar, but you'd want to check with your travel agent to make sure.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Hello

I didn't travel there during Ramadanh

but I had some explanition about travelling in Ramadan in the Egypt bookelet that I got from the travel compnay that I travelled with , this may help you to understand something

Here is it

Ramadan
When adherents of the Muslim faith fast during daylight hours, results in many businesses closing during daylight hours, particularly of an afternoon, however this does not generally apply to businesses that cater predominantly to tourist. The start/finish date for Ramadan is different year on year. In the evenings during Ramadan, the evening meal - called iftar [breaking the fast] - is a happy occasion, which often breaks into a lively party celebration - an interesting feature to visitors. Ramadan culminates in a three-day celebration called Eid al-Fitr, which involves joyous feasting, and all things merry.
Although visiting non-Muslims are not expected to starve during daylight hours, it is considered impolite to ‘stuff one’s face’ with food or drink in public, the exception being in known tourist zones. Nevertheless, if you happen to be in Egypt during Ramadan, it’s an interesting and altogether animated experience and will further add to your cultural knowledge, no less. During Ramadan, it is really courteous and to greet Muslim people with the words- ‘Ramadam Karim’.

William
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your replies. They were very helpful. William, what tour company did you use for you trip?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:08 PM

We also used Egypt Highlighs and loved them. Walaa was great. We called her to work out some of our specific details. That made us feel much comfortable working with her.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:30 PM

We were there at the end of Ramadan this year. We would avoid that time of year if at all possible.