Train Travel

Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Train Travel

I am hoping to take a train from Dar to Johanesburg voer Christmas to meet friends. Any comments on safety, cost, comfort?
Nov 23rd, 2004, 11:52 AM

Hello Ronnenbr,

A luxury train, Rovo's Rails, which I know by reputation only, covers that route. It costs megabucks.

If you are looking for a more budget-oriented version of the same route, you would find more people with knowledge of that at Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum.
Nov 24th, 2004, 03:25 AM

Oh my, ronnenbr - you sound as if you think you can just pitch up in Dar and catch a train that takes you where you want to go. So you are either very ignorant (charming - love it!) or this is a wind up.

I hadn't heard of the lux train Judy mentions - fascinating - I am surprised to hear that there are uninterruped tracks from Dar to Joburg. Has someone been building new ones?

I have travelled that route twice but not all of the way by train (cos I don't think you can). Train dar-kigoma-ferry-zambia- hitch-train to Lusaka-bus to Vic Falls -train (with lots of connex) Vic Falls-Harare-Joburg (maybe!!).

Or you can take the TANZAM direct Dar to Lusaka - but i still think it is bus from there to Vic Falls.

Enjoy - wonderful trip.

To answer your other questions:
safety - no probs.
cost - comparatively zilch.
comfort- depends on your comfort levels. The trip Dar-Kigoma was the worst train ride I have ever taken comfortwise - but hey, I had a good time!! Do you mind squat toilets?
Nov 24th, 2004, 03:32 AM

PS - the trains are usually full over Xmas/New Year. Be prepared to persist and ask to see the Stn Master to ask if there is a seat available.

And, for sure, post on the LP.
Nov 24th, 2004, 04:56 AM

Judy is right, Rovos Rail (singular) does offer something that involves Dar. But (as Alice also suggested), it is somewhat removed from being a commuter operation! And not only for reasons of price.

I see from their website that they are planning two 13-day excursions in July next year. One from Cape Town, then the return.

It's somewhat off-topic I know, but the details are at www.rovosrail.co.za/rovosdaressalaam.html
Nov 24th, 2004, 05:03 AM

Here's another web page about the same trip, from an agent of Rovos Rail. Although it's out-of-date, it lists dates in 2002 and 2003:

http://africanadrenalin.co.za/rovosrail/ctdar.htm

Search this Thread