Search

Medical remedies in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 02:03 PM
Linda

Medical remedies in Egypt

We'll be traveling to Egypt later this year, and we've been told that U.S. stomach upset, and so on, remedies aren't effective there, and that we should buy local remedies, if needed. <BR> <BR>Has anyone had experience in this area? <BR> <BR>Linda

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 02:14 PM
wrmsp

Hi, Linda. Everybody has stomach problems in Egypt, despite all the cares one takes (drinking bottled water, eating in McDonald's....). I recommend ANTINAL (Nifuroxazide 200mg) - anti-diarrhea. <BR>

Old May 1st, 2000, 10:27 AM
MJD

Hi Linda, <BR>I just returned form EGYPT and I drank bottled water and followed alll that jazz and did not even go on a NILE cruise and still had diarrhea. <BR> <BR>It hit me late evening and so I went to bed and then woke up and went to eat cheese. Sounds funny I know. BUT, it worked. I ate cheese and toast for breakfast. A cheese sandwich at lunch and guess what, cheese sandwich and rice for dinner. This helped a lot. I did not even try my immodium AD. I did not want to get an infection from not letting it take its course. <BR> <BR>So, just alter your diet if you get it and still go about your acitives other than very strenous ones! Just make sure you know where the toliets are!!! <BR> <BR>Read up before you go on what foods are good to eat if it hits. Maybe I am lucky with the cheese thing, luck. <BR> <BR>I was a little leary on their remedies. Who knows what you are buying. <BR>Ask your Dr to prescribe someting before you leave! I have done that for other areas of the world! <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR>MJD

Old May 1st, 2000, 03:27 PM
Linda

wrmsp and MJD, Thanks for the info. I got a queasy stomach just reading your replies. <BR> <BR>Did either of you encounter local foods that didn't set well on your stomach, and that you wished you had avoided? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Linda

Old May 22nd, 2000, 03:37 AM
Jacque

I spent several weeks in Egypt,including a cruise with a friend and we didn't get sick-although most others did, which put them out of action for about 2-3 days, missing many of the sites. 'Western' remedies are proven to work-so take immodium or similar with you just in case. We took some western foods with us that were light and wouldn't be affected by heat to get us by, particularly some spreads for bread. We ate mainly rice, bread, made sandwiches/rolls & brought bottles of coke/fanta/water, chips (the salt is good for you in the heat) & anything boiled. We used bottled water for everything (cleaning teeth) and avoided all salads (they are not washed before hand), chicken/fish, and dairy products (go off easily in the heat). While our diet was 'boring', we decided we had come to Egypt for the sites, and so we put up with the bland diet for that short period to ensure that we saw them all. If you would not go to an asian natural remedy shop at home for a cure for diarrhea, then you certainly wouldn't try it in a country where they don't speak the same language as you and you don't know what you are taking. <BR>

Old May 22nd, 2000, 06:27 AM
Myriam

We went to Egypt twice and never got sick. <BR>A few tips: <BR>The sun is HOT and the journey from the US is LONG, so take it easy the first days. <BR>Never drink unbottled water, don't even use it to brush your teeth. <BR>Don't put ice cubes in your drinks. <BR>Don't eat unpealed fruits/vegetables unless you're in a high quality hotel. <BR>Avoid to eat ice cream. <BR>Don't drink tea with the street vendors or at berber camps. <BR>Drink at least 2 liters of (bottled) water in order not to get deshydrated (desert climate!). <BR> <BR>And finally ... enjoy Egypt and don't worry too much. <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:24 AM
rck

Fasigyn. Very cheap in Egypt. Most of their drugs come from UK or states. Remember what causes some stomach cramps or the "Pharoahs Revenge"; parasites. You need to get rid of them in certain cases. Also be aware of hepatitis. This comes from fesces. This is why you don't eat off of street vendors. When people say they drank bottled water and still got diarrhea, well make sure the bottle was sealed when you got it and for heavens sake don't use ice. You might as well just drink tap water. One comment on lettuce. Don't eat it. Parasites love lettuce. Order your food well done. A few precautions go a long way. There is plenty safe to eat and drink. Enjoy Egypt as a living history book.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:18 PM
Susan

I want to add the dissenting vote on medical remedies--My mom & I went last summer and 1/2 of tour got sick--including US doctor's wife. After she was sick for more than 12 hours, he called Egyptian dr. and found it was virus and it needed egyptian antibotic. I suggest asking your tour guide or hotel for over the counter "magic red pills"---they made everyone well and quickly. I say trust the locals who know what makes tourists sick.....