Visiting Petra from Eilat, any hotel suggestion?

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 11:14 PM
begona Perez

Visiting Petra from Eilat, any hotel suggestion?

Hi,I would like to visit Petra from Eilat, any suggestions? ONce in Petra where should I stay that is nice and affordable? Have you heard about a visit to Petra by horse? <BR>Thanks

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 12:53 AM
Michelle

The Petra Forum Hotel (Intercontinental chain) is, as far as I'm aware, the closest hotel to Petra and therefore best from a location viewpoint. It's situated right next to the wadi (by which you enter Petra). I can't remember exact cost but somewhere around $70 per night. They have a web site and do special rates. Hotel will arrange horse rides (and therefore arrange price of horse ride, which saves you a lot of hassle with bargaining). The guys who lead the horses do expect a tip at end of day. You need, at least, one full day to see Petra. I was there for just short of two days and I'd have liked more time.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 11:24 PM
bradshmx

Thanks very much.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 10:39 PM
Myriam

Tip: if you leave from Eilat, make sure to be at the Israeli/Jordan border before the tour busses arrive, otherwise you risk to have to wait for hours for visa and passport control. <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 05:46 AM
QMC

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE, WHAT SORT OF TIMES DO YOU THINK I SHOULD TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION?

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 06:29 AM
Myriam

If you are early enough formalities should not take long but if there are four busses x 50 people before you and there's only one or two people at customs, .... <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 08:05 AM
Lee

We are staying at the Petra Movenpick this fall after much research. The Forum and Movenpick are both very close to the entrance to Petra (our room has a view of the hills of Petra), but several people both on this site and friends rate the Movenpick #1. Neither are cheap - you'll have to stay in town further from site to get that. Hate to say this here, but check out the Lonely Planet guide book on Jordan/Syria. They give many hotel choices in 3 price ranges. Happy travels.