Mombo Camp for Solo Traveler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read so many great things about this camp - that it seems I have to go and spend some time. Has anyone gone there solo or does it even matter? Also, how long would be a good stay? Is it worth saving and staying a few extra days or is 2-3 days enough? I love to just watch wildlife (especially the cats) at any time of the day or night. And how far in advance would it be suggested to book a tent? Finally, what would be the best time to go - I like cooler weather but would rather go when the game is at its peak. Any comments will be appreciated - ATR is trying to talk me out of this camp as very pricey and get me to bite on a few alternative camps - but sometimes I find you get what you pay for.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Canechick - I'll say it again. I'd be happy to join you and help us save the costs!
(I'd love to go, only because of what I hear about the wildlife - both the prices! Whew!)
Sharon
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Hi Canechick,

I am going to Mombo solo in June/July 2006. I posted my itinerary on your thread, and on another one as well (I think it was 'Botswana Itinerary (June/July 2006) Booked').

From what I have heard, Mombo has great game-viewing no matter when you go. Even people who go in February see more than people who go at peak times to other camps. The cat sightings are particularly well-known. A minus at Mombo is the inability to do night drives, because of Moremi park regulations. However, leopard sightings are still known to be exceptional.

There is no denying that it is expensive. The itinerary I am doing, which includes four days at Duma Tau, four days at Little Vumbura, and five days at Mombo, is costing in the region of $12,000, not including Air Botswana flights which will run another $400-$500. For comparison, the two five-paw camps alone would be around $5,500. So five days at Mombo is costing me about $6,500.

I am going at the end of June/beginning of July, because I like having a bit of green (for photography) and having the cooler weather as well. It also means that I can take advantage of the green season rates at Little Vumbura and Duma Tau, and be at Duma Tau during the wild dog denning season.

I always stay at least 3 nights in any camp. For camps where the game-viewing is exceptional, I usually go four and sometimes 5. I had hoped for a week at Mombo, but it wasn't possible to get 7 consecutive days -- apparently 11 months in advance was too late for that! A year or more would be a good idea, it seems, at least if you want a choice of times and more than 2-3 days at the camp.

I have found that as a solo traveller I prefer a larger camp, which is why I chose Main Camp rather than Little Mombo. Large groups (family/friends) often book out the smaller camp, and since there is only one vehicle I didn't want to be the odd one out in a family group.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 10:23 AM
bwanamitch

Canechick,

Maybe you have also a look at the "Mombo - how much, and is it worth it?" thread,
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34650838

Mitch

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I think you'll be fine at Big Mombo as a solo traveller as that's quite a large camp (8 or 9 tents). There'll be lots of different groups. At little Mombo (only 3 or 4 tents), you may be alone among a single group.

I personally would stay 3 nights as a good balance given the expense. While there's never any guarantees, I think at Mombo you're as close to being assured of seeing big cats as anywhere. We were only there 2 nights and saw leopards and lions on every single game drive, include 30 lions together on our last drive.

Imho it's definitely worth it. We'll always remember our experiences at Mombo, but I've very convenient forgotten how much it cost

Judy
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Had two nights there this July and can't wait for the six we have planned next June. In fifteen hours in the vehicle I think the longest interval between seeing mammals was about 2.5 minutes. It is a spectacular destination. Definitely go for Mombo rather than Little Mombo, the staff were very friendly and I'm sure would go out of there to make you feel included, though most other guests would do the same.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Cooncat: If you are serious - email me and we can chat and see if it is possible. That would be wonderful!!!
My email is [email protected] Summer 2006 is already planned so this would be later in the year or sometime 2007 - but I am learning the better you plan and the earlier you reserve - the better the trip!!! We should take Julian too!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Canechick - Check your e-mail! (People on this board are going to think I'm a stalker!) ;-)
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Hi Sharon,

Don't worry -- I sent her an email before you did, so you're not the only one! Maybe we can get all the 'singles' together and have a great trip together.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:56 PM

But I mentioned it first!!!!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:00 PM

That would be great if some of you could plan to meet up in Africa.

I stayed at both Mombo and Little Mombo as a solo, both in July and would recommend either. My own preference is a smaller camp.

I just returned from Botswana and the reports from people who had stayed at Mombo seem to justify its price.

Canechick, I'd be interested in knowing what the alternative camps are that ATR is pushing.

Thanks for disclosing your pricing, Jasher. It helps the rest of us in planning and comparing.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 01:48 AM

Lynn,

Out of curiosity, what sort of pricing did you get for Mombo? I think I did pretty well, but it's always interesting to hear how other people did.

I worked out the single supplement for my trip and it's about 25%. The sharing rate for my itinerary would be $9600.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Julian,

I stayed at Mombo and Little Mombo before their upgrade and have not returned since, so my pricing info (if I could recall it) would not be relevant.

But I agree that you did very well. Would you care to share your source?

Thanks!